Three

"Why don't I go get Roxanne, Mimi? She's a wonderful girl, I assure you." I heard the shuffling of steps up the stairs. Shoving my phone in my pocket I leapt onto my bed and lay there. It was kind of nice to know my Nana thought I was nice, even when she didn't know me. I wasn't nice to anyone else, though, sadly. It's just... I don't want anybody knowing my past. Frankly, I can't remember half of it. A knock came to the door. "Roxanne," said Nana, "I'd like you to meet somebody." I slipped off my bed and made my way to the door. Opening it, I found Nana standing there, smiling. "She's in the living room." I walked down the stairs and looked into the living room. Mimi Smith, our old neighbour, who was much more youthful-looking now, since it's 1956, not 2013, "Hello, dear," said Mimi, snapping me out of my deep though. "Hello." I said promptly and sat down. "I'm Mimi, pleased to meet you." she held out her hand to shake. I wasn't very comfortable with this, but I have to fit in. I shook it. "Roxanne." She narrowed her eyes at me, instantly making me as nervous as one could get another. "Say, dear, how old are you?" She asked, relieving me a bit. "Mary had mentioned it before," I said, trying not to make eye contact, "I'm 13." Mimi's eyes lit up, which just made me even more uncomfortable. "My nephew, John is only a few years older than you. Drop by sometime, I am sure you two would get along fine." I nodded slowly. I still could not remember any time that Mimi had lived with a nephew named John. Nodding slowly I got up and muttered. "I think I left something upstairs." And exited the room.

I can't do this anymore. I will never be able to even live in this freaking timeline. I need to get out of here. Even if I have to- no, that's the last resort. I can survive, I lasted 3 years with my useless siblings. At least the people here are kind. Or at least Young Nana and Young Mimi. If she forces to meet this 'John' person , I cannot show anything. No emotion. No weakness. "Roxanne, can you come down for a moment?" Mimi had left awhile ago, and I simply sat on the bed. "Yes, Mary?" Nana shook her head. "The jig is up, Roxanne. You look too much like me, and your clothes are so futuristic! Did you really think you could trick me? Now, am I your aunt, mother, or grandmother?" Kicking the ground slightly I picked at my already-ruined-short-bitten fingernails. "Grandmother. I come from 2013." Peeking up at her expecting my nana to be angry I saw her face sympathetic. "How'd you get here?" I sighed. That was something I did not want to explain. "A future me came to send me here and didn't leave me with a return machine." I mumbled. "I live with you, and my parents are dead. No siblings." I lied there. Nana sighed. "You poor thing." she said. "Will you let me stay here?" I asked. Nana thought for a minute. "I will, it'll be pretty much how I'll be living nearly 70 years from now, anyways." Staring at the door her eyes suddenly lightened. "Oh! I almost forgot. Mimi asked us over for dinner tonight so you can meet her nephew. He lives with her, too." Fantastic, a playmate. That's just great. More past to alter. But hey, I'm stuck here. What else can I do? "One more question, though." asked Nana as I flopped onto the couch. "Mhm?" I mumbled. "Why are you so comfortable with me but not with anyone else? Mimi won't do a thing to ever harm you. She's a good soul." I sighed and closed my eyes. "It's a story never worth telling." I instantly sat up. "This isn't right. I just got here, well, to you at least, and I'm already flopping all over your furniture." Nana shrugged. "I could use some flopping. This stuff is all as stiff as Mimi's back." I stared at her. "Why?" Looking around the house I noticed. "Just moved in." I mumbled an agreement. Truthfully it wasn't much different from when I last saw it. "I'm going to tell you this now, but your house looks practically the same 57 years from now." I stared down at my shirt. I want to fit in, but sadly, I won't ever. I didn't even when it was 2013, and now it's 1956, which just makes it worse. I kept staring at my shirt. "Hey, want something to eat?" asked Nana, and I finally noticed she was sitting on the chair a few feet away from the couch I was partially lying on. "Sure, I guess." I muttered, and sat up straight. "Roxanne, if I know kids, I know what'll make you feel somewhat better." I stared up at her. "Some good Bill Haley & His Comets!" She inserted a record into the player and 'Rock Around the Clock' began to play. "It's almost brand new, the single got released a few months ago!" Squealed Nana. She definitely was more energetic when she was however old she is now than the 84-year-old one I used to know. If she is 84 57 years from now, that means she's 27. Twice my age. Actually, I can live with that. "Sorry kiddo, I can't get you something to eat now." she said, snapping me out of my thoughts. "It's nearly 6:15, and Mimi's expecting us to be there at 6:30! I have to get ready!" She ran up the stairs, leaving 'Rock Around the Clock' still playing. It was true, I loved the song. It usually made me feel better whenever I was down, but now, it's not working. Not working at all. I'll never see 2013 Nana again, nor will I see Teddy, my only friend, or even Mister Crumbles, the neighbourhood stray cat. I sighed. Why would I need to get ready? Nana must be worried sick, anyways. I tried taking out my phone to text her.

Nana, I'm alright. A future me came and sent me into the past back to when you were 27. I'm seriously not joking, and if this sends, I'm giving you a picture once we go to Mimi's house for dinner.

I sent it and crossed my fingers. Nana was pretty up-to-date with mobile technology, especially for an 84-year old. My eyes widened as a small ding came from my phone.

Fine, Roxanne. But if I find out this is another one of your pranks I'll strangle ya.

Be safe, okay?

-Nana

I stared down at my phone, jaw agape. How, how did this even work? It's completely impossible! I kept staring at the device until the record came to an end. "Come on, Roxanne! We have to go! It's 6:27!" I looked up at her, confused. "It's Mimi Smith, for God's sake! And what's that?" She asked, pointing at my phone. "It's a way to communicate with aliens." I said promptly. "Seems like a glass rectangle to me." I shook my head. "Aliens." Nana sighed, rolling her eyes. "Well, put it away. We need to get going." I grabbed my jacket and she snatched hers and we hurried out into the rain and speed walked across the sidewalk and up Mimi's driveway. Knocking on the door quickly Nana stared at it. Mimi opened it almost instantly. "I thought you wouldn't come! Come on in, you two." Nana stepped in and I walked in hesitantly. "It's fine, Roxanne." She said.

"What kind of a name is Roxanne?" came a voice from inside the house.

It was obnoxious, oh yes, but over the years I would learn to enjoy the company of the owner of that voice.

And that voice would become known worldwide as John Lennon's voice.