Chapter 26

This chapter sucks, but hey, cut me some slack. I don't why, but you should. Anyway, enjoy, if you can. I guess. Whatever. Just...continue. XOXOsamelove1234

Jem's POV

I get my pants on the same time the door opens. Thankfully, I glance over to see Dave has on all of his clothes, but his face is flushed and there is still some of my...stuff on his lips. That would be really hot if there wasn't a strong possibility we may have been caught. But, apparently D is also the genius in this relationship because I can't find the remainder of sex anywhere else in the room. All the white liquid is gone and the papers are shuffled into a filer. I actually think we might get home free.

Then I realize that I don't have my shirt on.

"Hey, boys. Having fun?" greets Clarabell. There are so many reasons she can't know about me and Davey. None of them I feel like listing right now.

"What? Nope! No fun here! We're working! All work!" I shoot defensively. David gives me a look that could curdle milk and I cringe a little at how suspicious I made us seem.

Clara makes a awkwardly confused face, but dismisses me- thank god. "So, anyway. I just wanted to check in to see if you'd both still be makin' it to the ranch."

"Wait, you'll be at Anna's house?" Dave asks.

"Of course I will! Why wouldn't I be?" Clarabell inquires. "Wait. You don't know do you? I should probably reintroduce myself. I'm Clarabell Miller, Anna's mother."

I watch the fall of Davey's jaw like a comic movie and I would laugh if this didn't mean dire things in wait for me. He's gonna be pissed.

"Wait, you're being serious?" D furthers. "Wow, that is fantastic!" I can hear the strain in his voice as he turns to me with a fake grin. "Just fantastic! Can't wait to see you there." He clears his throat then faces Clarabell. "Could you excuse us, please. We still have a lot to finish here, so..."

"Oh," Clara responds, slightly confused at the flip in direction this conversation has taken. "Of course, I'll let you guys get back to... Whatever requires Jeremiah to be shirtless."

My cheeks grow warm and David moves to hurriedly escort her out.  "Goodbye," he says, right before shutting the door and slumping against it.

Dave fixes me with an accusing stare before blowing a dark tuft of hair from his pretty face. "We need to talk. Now."

I release a sheepish chuckle as I uncomfortably scratch the back of my neck. "Okay. What would you like to know?"