Chapter 25

I descend the stairs with an uncharacteristic pep in my step. The sun seems to be agreeing with my mood and everything smells like summer and sex. When I get to the kitchen, the scent of vegan-friendly goodness hits me and I run the last steps to the island where we eat breakfast.

For the first time in forever, (A/N That Frozen reference though) Jeremiah is sitting with everyone. A fat stack of pancakes on his plate as he stares down at it, grinning like an idiot in mid-bite. With a smirk, I slide into the seat next to him, purposely bumping our shoulders together. "G'morning," I greet everyone.

Gran turns from her spot in front of the stove and smiles in return while Pa continues to devour his own breakfast. A full plate of vegan-sausage links and fruit salad appears in front of me and I give a thankful grin to Jeremy who's looking really glowy and stuff. 

"You wanna cup of coffee, Dave?" Gran asks me and I gladly accept it.

"So, what do you wanna do today, Davey?" Jem asks. "There's still a lot of work that needs to be done on the workbench." 

I nearly spit out my coffee on to the granite counter, my face red, and Jere holding back a laugh at my reaction. What did he expect? He basically told my grandfamily that we're going to have mind-blowing sex.

"Oh, that reminds me," pipes Pa. "The Miller's invited us over to their ranch for the afternoon. Be ready by three." 

Automatically, I tense. I hear Jerem's fork clatter with the plate as I try to sort my emotions. "Y'all okay? Look like I just killed your dog," Pa questions. I only push my plate away and shake my head.

"Yeah...Yeah, we're fine. Just a lot to get finished before we go," I hear Jeremy mumble. "Right, Davey?" I keep silent until I feel a nudge in my rib.

"Uh, right... Right," I nod, maybe a little too eagerly, with a smile on my face.

"Mhmmm... Sure," Pa says as though he's not completely convinced, but doesn't wanna look into this.

"So... We'll just be going..." Jem slides from his seat and walks half way to the back porch, but then notices I'm not following. "David," he seethes.

"Oh, yup! Gotta go! Work to do! Toodles!" I dissmiss myself nervously, desperate to get out of this uber awkward situation. 

When I catch up to Jeremiah, I don't even stop and just power-walk my way through the swing doors. I just assume he's following from the sound of rushed footsteps on the grass which needs a trimming.

Once we get comfortably out of earshot, my arm is grabbed and I'm twisted around to face an incredulous looking Jem. "Toodles?" he asks. "Really? Could you be any more suspiscious?"

"Sorry, I don't have as much experience at lying as you do!" I snap defensively. Immediately, I regret it when I see the wounded look on Jerem's face. "Sorry, it's just... This is a lot, you know?" With that, I breeze past him and into the workshed, trying to get completely out of my grandparents sight range.

"Of course, I know, David. I just thought all the trouble would be worth it."

I don't make a move to reply and just rest my hip against the more orderly of the many tables adorning the shack. My gaze is fixed on the wooden floor, obviously not a completely professional job as there are not a single pair of blocks that are the same and there seem to be several different types of wood. A finger and thumb latch around my chin and my eyes are fixated on to a pair of water-blue ones.

"Just tell me one thing, David," Rem orders softly. "Do you still want this? Because, last night, I tried my hardest to show you how much I'm dedicated to this. I gave you my virginity for another shot with you. Don't hold back on me, now."