Chapter 15

Turns out that escaping the crows is impossible. One: because Gran said so. Secondly: because I'm a part of them.

I don't know what it is with people thinking that the fact that I am gay makes me great at all things feminine. I hate shopping, I have no emotions towards shoes, and I can think of a million things I'd rather do than plan a stinking ball. And guess who gets to plan it with me. Jere-freakin-miah! But, no, it gets worse. Clarabell is going over her last minute decisions wit us on the decorations. Really, the universe never stops throwing punches, does it?

"Now, I was thinking a deep pink as the center color. Surrounded by silvers and," blah blah blah I hear Clarabell continue. All she does is talk and talk about color palettes, sequins, and invitations. I mean god, from a student taking a minor in Graphic Art and Advanced Illustrations, I can appreciate her love for detail, but if she brings up one more Pinterest page I'm gonna- "David! How do you feel about this fabric? For the table tops? Should they be round tables or circular?" she asks me enthusiastically. I suppress a groan of annoyance and try my best to seem vaguely interested.

"A little too slick, silk. Maybe something with more fiber. And depth. Depth adds layer to a single color. Try charmeuse," I suggest. The only reason I know what that even is may be from the constant marriages on my dad's side of the family and the non stop Say Yes To The Dress marathons. 

"That's perfect, Davey. And the color?"

"Black," I advise bluntly.

"Blue," Jeremiah says, shooting me a look that tells me to grow up. Yeah, me grow up. You grow up. Asshole.

"Both...great suggestions," Clarabell struggles. "But I think we're gonna go with pink."

"I look horrible in pink," I grumble. It's not fruity, I just know what works with me is all. Everyone knows what color makes them look bad. Don't judge me.

"I doubt it," Jem mumbles in a low whisper. My head snaps to him, but he doesn't look at me, instead faces a bored looking Clara.

"Okay, I'm feeling a little peckish now. I thinks it's about time I headed home for a light lunch. See you same time tomorrow," Bell goodbyes. I help her gather up her bright binders and slip them into her hands. Jeremy hands Clarabell her very large reptilian made pink purse. I give her a stiff nod goodbye after we lead her to the door. I cling to the door, Jeremiah close behind me. I ignore the feel of his warmth on my back and focus a smile on Clarabell. She's actually not THAT horrible. But, I still don't trust her. "See you tomorrow."

"Goodbye. Have a safe drive." Clara blinks in surprise at my kind dismissal and returns my smile. 

"Have a good one, Ms. Clare," Remy says. When he waves, his chest pushes into my shoulder blades, pressing me forward and fighting the heat rushing to my cheeks at how comfortable but uncomfortable I feel.

"You, too." Finally, she's in her car, but right before she can drive off the property, Clarabell leaves us with one more lasting comment. "You boys behave yourselves." With that, Jeremiah took a safe step back, releaving the pressure of us together. 

I curse under my breath as I close the door and turn just in time to see Jere speed walk out of the entrance way. His rump looking delicious. I groan in frustration. Not just because Clare just threw some serious shade and made Jem back off. But, because I didn't want him to back off. And that makes things lot more complicated than I'd like them to be.