Chapter 6

I snap up in bed, covered in sweat, wet as if I really just came from the water. There's still a loud knocking and it's seconds before I realize it's my heart thumping crazily, not the door. Recovering my breath, I call out a labored, "Come in." 

The door hesitantly creaks open and instead of the familiar dainty steps of Gran, it's louder, unrecognizable ones. "Um, here's your dinner." The southern drawl can only be classified as Jeremiah's. "We just ordered pizza. I think because Pa didn't want to do any washing." The sound of his voice at the moment is so reassuring, I don't even try to decipher what he's saying. "You okay?"

"What?" I question, obviously confused. "Oh, right. I'm fine. Bad dream." Jer looks to me in discomfort and looks around the room.

"Nice sheets," he comments. I actually blush. Me. Blush. What the hell.

"Um, thanks. You can just-"

"I'll just leave your food right here." J sets down the plate on a nearby dresser and starts for the door. "Uh, David?"

"Yes." The sweat is starting to stick my clothing to me uncomfortably and I'm anxious to rip it all off.

"If you have any more...like, bad dreams. Just, um,-" he offers awkwardly.

"Yeah. I will," I confirm warmly. Miah gives me one last shadowed smile and opens his mouth as if to say something, but just pads out of my room and closes the door. 

I fall back into my pillows and a large breath releases from my lungs. My nap seems to have only exhausted me further and I don't even consider getting up to eat my pizza. I shut my lids, hoping for a way more subtle and less confusing dream.

But, this time, when I try to sleep, I keep thinking about how much Jeremiah's voice sounds like the voice in my dream, calling me back to shore.

THAT WAS SOME FILLLER!!! GIVE A STAR AND ADD THIS TO YOUR LIBRARY. Love you-SameLove1234