Chapter 13

Mallory

"There's daddy!" I said to Grace and Nolan. We were watching Shawn's prerecorded performance of his new single on Ellen.

Shawn took the stage and started to sing. Grace got up and danced along and Nolan laughed. I focused on the beautiful lyrics and how passionately my husband delivered them.

After performing, Shawn sat and talked to Ellen.

"That's me!" Gracie squealed as a picture of Shawn and the kids was on the huge screen behind the seats on Ellen's stage.

"You and Nolan look so cute, don't you?" I asked her.

"I want Daddy," Grace said with a pout.

"He'll be home later today, sweet pea. We'll all have dinner together tonight."

The interview ended and I flipped off the TV.

Shawn had been gone for two to three days out of every week this month. It had been manageable for me, but that didn't mean we didn't miss him. When he wasn't away doing festivals or promos, he was home working hard on the album. I was happy that he'd be home for all of the following week, because we were traveling to Virginia for Thanksgiving.

Later that day, Shawn got home during Nolan's nap. Gracie and I were on the couch reading books.

"I'm home!" he called as he walked in the condo.

Gracie climbed off the couch and ran into his arms. I joined them and gave him a kiss.

"You were amazing today. Like insanely good," I told him.

"Thanks. I love how everyone's reacting so positively to the song. Hopefully the album will live up to the single."

I had no doubts that it would, and I'd told him this often. "It's going to be great."

"I'm starving," he said as he put Grace down.

"Dinner is ready. We were just waiting on you."

Shawn took his luggage and guitars back to our room while I dished up dinner. I'd made a chicken and corn chowder, which I was serving with a salad and some fresh bread that I'd baked that afternoon.

"This is fantastic," Shawn said halfway through dinner.

"Thanks. Pinterest wins again," I said.

Grace was covered with soup, so Shawn gave her a bath while I fed Nolan some cereal mixed with squash. He was nursing a little less frequently now that he was on solids, which was a huge relief for me. I was dying for the day that he'd start sleeping through the night. He still got up to eat at least once every night.

Shawn sat on the couch holding Nolan while I sat on the floor coloring with Grace. After a while we traded children. As it got later, I let Gracie pick a show to watch before bedtime. We'd started Toy Story the night before, so she decided we should finish it tonight. It was more enjoyable this time, because Shawn was so into it.

Before long, it was time for Nolan to nurse while Shawn took Gracie into her room for two bedtime books and a song. When Nolan was full, I changed his diaper and put him in his crib. Shawn joined me and we stood looking at our beautiful son as he drifted off to sleep. He didn't have the brown curls that Gracie had as an infant, though her hair had started to lighten up a little. She was looking more like me. Nolan's hair was finer. He had been practically bald until recently.

"I think his eyes are changing to brown," I said as we closed the door.

"Yeah, they're kind of a weird color now," Shawn agreed.