'OR MAYBE I'LL LOSE YOU TO MYSELF.'

Damien's P.O.V

And then her eyes opened.

Her steel blue eyes still looked strong and brave, but mostly beautiful.

My breath hitched when she slowly let her lips turn up at corners and showed off her straight teeth into a shining 'Lana' smile.

"Hey." She said, her voice sounding weak and foreign. We haven't met since a year or so. But I'm happy that I'm the first one to see her awake.

I still wish I could have come before. But with the recent ongoings, I knew it would take sometime even with me rushing the work to come here.

Truthfully, I wasn't sure that I  would make a difference coming. When it came to her, I wasn't sure about anything. She got me so riled up all the time that I was normally left like this. Hyperaware of my own emotions.

Yet, I am okay for now. She was here. Awake. And that's what mattered.

"Hey sunshine!" I said, smiling as brightly as I can. She instantly tried getting up but-

"Owww..  That hurts." She said, her face scrunched up in pain.

I helped her lie back down and messaged Levi to callup the doctor now that Lana is awake.

But I'm surprised he didn't just rush in.

Looking up from the phone, I see her smile at me sheepishly. She tries to make a gesture to get up again when I push her back down gently.

"Just lie down sunshine, you need rest and the doctor is coming soon." I smiled.

"Yeah..." She sighed and then her eyes slowly started drooping. I held on to our entwined fingers tighter as the doctor came in with few nurses.

I wasn't ready to leave her but  the doctor insisted on it saying it was better than creating a ruckus.

So I let go of her hand.

She was already asleep. Knowing that she was okay made me take in few breaths of relief.

I moved outside the room and met up with Sarah and Levi.

Levi just gave me a cold look and walked away while Sarah got up and gave me a bone-crushing hug.

I haven't ever personally met Sarah but we have talked on facetime alot, especially while planning for Lana's bdays.

I was glad I could finally meet her. So  I hugged her back.

" I knew you would be able to do it. Oh I'm so happy that Lana's finally awake." She said, smiling.

"I wasn't so sure that I would make a difference but I guess I did. I'm happy. Because believe me I was scared shitless. I was so worried about her. That's why I tried to hurry as much as I could." I sighed, if it wasn't for my parents, I would have been here way before.

"You have no idea Damien, I knew you would you would make the difference. Just the right amount of it. Thank you." Sarah said softly.

"You don't have to thank me for anything. I did what I had to. She is mu best friend too you know." I paused. "We just have to wait for the doctor to come out then we can meet Lana." I said, cheering Sarah up.

"But what's with Mr.Grumpy-face though?" I said, signalling towards Levi who was calling everyone up to tell them that Lana is awake.

" Well he hasn't been fine since the accident and he still blames himself. And he wanted to be the first one to see Lana awake but then you, Damien Montez, walked in and suddenly Lana is awake!" She said," So yeah, you being his enemy and Lana's best friend does alot to him."

I knew about the accident because of Dan. I was also raging inside when I got to know as to why she went off alone in the car. I was so ready to break Levi Thompson's face but now, hearing that he is guilty. I don't think I would do that now. And the fact that Levi didn't know that she liked him, drove me crazy.

For heaven sake! Everybody could see it. I am going to confess that I am still pretty jealous about it too.

Levi Thompson was indeed an unobservant asshole.

"Ok, so I guess I will let him be for that." I said shrugging. I then rushed off to the parking lot and got the flowers that I had got for Lana.

As I reached the doctor walked out telling the nurse to serve Lana some food.

"Everything is fine but there is a slight complication about which I would only like to talk to her parents. If you could call them up right now please?" He asked with certainty.

I took out my phone and called Lana's mother.

"Yeah Damien, I know that Lana is awake and we would come to visit her tomorrow if possible. Now please dont-"

I cut her off saying," The doctor wants to talk to you, he says it's urgent." I said handing over the phone to the doctor.

The doctor went inside the room to talk while all of us remained silent outside.

All of Lana's friend were here too. The doctor came out, gave me the phone and walked off saying that there are still some tests that have to be done, now that Lana is awake.

"So let's go in guys." Melissa cheered.
The nurse tried protesting but finally gave in and let all of us enter.

I led the group in and almost instantly the group went silent. I kept the buffet of button roses on her side table and went to sit right beside her on the bed.

"Hey Lana!" Macy said, jumping to be seen from behind Jaden and Jason.

"Hey Macy! How have you been?" She said, her voice small.

"How have YOU been? Feel relaxed after being out for 9 days now??"

"I have been out for 9 days?!?!?" She exclaimed, eyes nearly coming out of their sockets.

"Yup, and if you haven't noticed, THAT is why we all look so miserable." Said Levi with a quite voice.

Lana's eyes softened though she still didn't look at Levi.

"Guys I'm so sorry. You shouldn't be so worried about me, I'm perfectly fine. And it's not like I'm about to di-" she was cut off by Sarah.

"Lana Wilson, if you even lips the D-word, I'll kill you." She said threateningly.

"Okay, I guess...." Lana sighed. "Guys if you don't mind, I'm just a little sleepy so if could please..." She didn't have to finish. Everybody slowly gave her sly smiles and walked out.

I was going to walk out too when she held on to my wrist.

"Don't." Her eyes showed that she missed me. And that one word was enough to make me stay.

After sometime the nurse came and served her food and I helped Lana eat.
Food eaten, I sat beside Lana on the bed and played around with her hair.

"I missed you." She said, smiling.

I looked into her eyes.

"I missed you too, sunshine." I said, smiling.

I leaned forward and rested my forehead against hers. We both closed our eyes as we embraced each others presence.

Then slowly her breath laboured and I knew she went off to sleep.

Finally. Just finally. I'm with my sunshine. And I'm going to tell her what I wanted to since a long time.

"I am scared I will lose you to this cruel world. Or maybe I will lose you to myself." Damien remembered a slight glimpse of past.

I'm not going to let her slip from my hands again and I was going to make sure that she is mine.

_____________________________________

Loads of love,
Mia🌞