chapter || 02

•∆ | Chapter Two;; noticing him from afar

< Maia's P.O.V >

=

My fingers glided across my phone screen as I tried to score another basket. Virtual basketball was not exactly fun but I had to make do with what I had. I squinted my eyes as I tried to figure out how to break through the defense of the opposing team.

'Can't believe you did that!'

Ignoring the monotonous lecture that my best friend was trying to pester me with, I tried to concentrate on the important matter at hand; the game. This was the only way to not let annoyance get the better of me. I didn't want to upset Liz and it was getting more and more difficult to not do that as she continued.

With my attention still on the game, I noticed how the cafeteria started buzzing with voices as people came in for lunch and took their clichéd tables. In Hailsham, pretty much everything was cliched. The famous group at the centre, the outcasts in the corners, the jocks laughing too loud, geeks studying. Then there was me and my friends; sitting in a corner to try and avoid the attention that we usually got. Usually it didn't matter much but as I heard my name floating around as people whispered about me a little too loudly, I felt kinda miserable and withdrawn.

My legs bounced underneath the table as Lizzie's voice raised a little higher than before, making my attention snap back to her. But I still kept playing the game on the phone.

I finally found a break through in the defense and moved in.

'Maia, you really gotta calm down. He had only stepped on your damn shoes, why did you beat him up like that?' She asked for the nth time today. I sighed as I felt the irritation creeping up on me.

'Lizzie, if you pity that asshole, join his fangirl club please. I really wouldn't mind, except I might just miss your presence and snarky comments a bit.' I paused, attention back on the game. 'And anyway, he totally deserved it. Guy's a total douche.' I said, letting out a scoff.

Squinting my eyes in concentration, I waited for her to reply and when she didn't, I turned off the phone, let out a sigh and finally looked up.

Lizzie looked at me with a serious gaze which meant that she really didn't like the explanation I gave her.

I huffed.

'Okay fine!' I said, throwing up my hands. 'You already know that I don't let anyone even touch my shoes let alone step on them, and the blue ones were my bday gift Liz! Of course I had to do something, so I beat him up.' I chuckled. 'Believe me when I say that he is the quaterback for no reason. Guy has no strength.' I said trying to add humor to my very reasonable explanation.

'You should thank me. I put that guy in his place. His ego was too huge for it to be healthy.'

Lizzie quirked up her eyebrow at me.

'You know the video is all over the social medias. Believe it or not, it puts on such a bad impression of you on the social front.' She turned her phone around after scrolling through something and showed it to me.

What I saw was unbelievable.

The video had more that 5K views, likes and comments.

What-

'All your fault Maia. You gotta stop being so impulsive, and start controlling your temper babe.' Lizzie said. And how much ever I wanted to disagree with her, I couldn't, because she was right.