Prologue

For the anniversary of my favourite ship :3           

They'd found it. After years and years of searching. They'd finally found it.

It was a beauty. A chest carved from the very oak of the sacred twin tree of Dreamtale. The spiral patterns carved into the dark wood depicted murals of the ocean, with giant ships riding its unforgiving waves, and on their masts, the flags of pirates.

All its edges and clasps were edged in gold and had tiny sparkling jewels scattered across its surface.

The first thing you noticed about the chest was the heavy rusted chains wrapped tightly round the whole thing, preventing anyone or anything getting in to discover its secrets.

Hanging from the thick chains, was a lock. A large metal padlock so dense that not even the strongest sword in the hands of the most skilled swordsmaster would be able to break its clasp.

Only one key would fit in the lock. Only one key would unlock its secrets. Only one key would cause men and women to loose their lives in their desperate attempt to find the one thing that would unlock the chest of secrets. Only one key would cause so much bloodshed. Only one key...

And that one key...was in the hands of a  pirate.

Silence lapsed over the sailors in the cave as a dark figure stepped forwards, the shine of the key visible in their hand. The Captain.

A dark chuckle emitted from the Pirate Captain as he knelt down in front of the chest, a wide grin visible on his face. "Well aren't you a beauty..." He muttered, his hand ghosting over the woods etched carvings, but never actually touching them.

He stayed knelt there for a moment, listening to the natural sounds of the cave and the tense breathing of his crew. Then with a still hand, he slowly reached forwards, inserted the key into the lock, and twisted.

A dull clunk echoed through the cave and the crew all shifted from foot to foot excitedly, all wanting to see what they had risked their lives for.

The chains fell from the chest with a crash, sending a jolt of surprise through everyone in the cave.

The Captain remained unfazed and simply gripped onto the clasp of the chest, pausing only for a second before lifting the lid of the chest open to reveal what's beneath.

"What?!" The Captain hissed, anger clouding over his once excited face.

The crew all stepped forwards to see what had angered their captain.

The chest wasn't empty.

But it really didn't have what you would expect.

Inside the chest, was another chest. It was small and plain, nothing looked special about it at all. Just a simply chest, with a lock so small you'd need an incredibly tiny key to unlock it. And attached to the lid, was a note.

The Captain hissed and picked up the note, his blue eye burning into the paper as he scanned the words.

If you find this note then you must have realised, you have been tricked and all is not as it seemed.
Prepare to face the awful fate to which all you have been deemed.
If you seek the true treasures key,
Then you must search for a man on land not the sea.
He has sworn his secret by a solemn pledge,
Known by the villagers to walk on a knifes edge.
Defined by many from his lightning-like scar,
Once you find him you will not have to travel far.
Only with full trust will he give his secret to you,
And your love for him must be true.
Stay true to this and the treasure is yours,
But only if you can escape the guardians jaws...

No sooner than the letter had been read, the cave started to shake and tremble, stalagmites falling from the ceiling and crashing into the ground below.

The Captain grabbed the chest, shouting frantic orders at the crew to run back to the ship.

They all scrambled back the way they came, slipping over seaweed and tripping over rocks in their desperate attempt to get back to the cave entrance, where their giant ship was waiting.

But just as the ship came into sight, something large and monstrous dropped from the ceiling, blocking their path entirely...