Chapter 12

Shawn

I was writing like crazy. A year had passed since my tour ended, and I needed to put out a new album. There wasn't the pressure to release an album every year like there used to be, especially since my last had been two parts that were released close together, but I knew my fans were eager for new songs.

Grace and Nolan were pretty time consuming, so I'd learned to write when I could. Early in the morning. Nap times. Late at night. Whenever I had time to myself, I'd go in my studio and work.

Mallory and the kiddos were at her playgroup today, so I had several interrupted hours to focus on my music.

I was really pleased with one song I'd written. It was about the simple pleasures in life and how they molded me into who I was. I'd just turned 24, and I felt a serene maturity had taken over me. I was in a really good place.

Feeling the need to share this song, I contacted Andrew and one of my favorite music co-writer-producers and convinced them to do a conference call so I could play for them. Once we were all connected, I grabbed my acoustic guitar and played.

I was greeted with total silence when I was done.

"Is it that bad?" I asked.

"Bad? No. That might be the best thing you've ever written," Teddy said enthusiastically.

"Yeah?" I asked.

Andrew chimed in. "If Island is on board, I'm tempted to release that as a single as soon as possible, with hopes we can churn out the rest of the album soon. I hate to wait too long on that song. It's too good to not go forward with."

"Seriously?" I asked, a little stunned.

"Yes. But you'd have to do some promo work. You'd need to perform it live. Maybe do a couple fall festivals."

I gulped. I really wasn't ready to leave Mallory. I'd told her I wouldn't be traveling until the spring.

Teddy interrupted my thoughts. "We could get that song recorded in two days. My schedule is tight, but I could fit you in if you flew out here."

"I'm going to have to run this by Mallory. She's a little overwhelmed these days. Nolan still wakes up three times a night. I just don't know if I can leave her right now."

"What if we make sure you're never gone more than 48 hours for promos? I'm sure that could be arranged," Andrew said.

"I'll call you later after I talk to Mal."

"Shawn, Mallory knew what she was getting into when she married you. She's tough. She'll be fine. And we can hire the best nanny there is to help out."

I laughed. "Word to the wise? Never ever mention a nanny to my wife. We'll talk soon," I said.

We said our goodbyes and disconnected.

Soon after that, there was a knock at my door. I opened it and saw Mallory with Nolan in her arms. They must have just gotten home.

"Can you take him a minute? I really need to pee and he's fussy," she said as she handed him off to me.

She returned a couple minutes later and went to the kitchen. I was in the living room with the kids. Gracie was doing a puzzle in the floor.

"How did it feel to return to playgroup?" I asked as I cradled Nolan in my arms.

"It was good. Everyone was happy to have us back. Gracie's friends gave her hugs. Nolan's future eye color was debated."

"He's totally going to have blue eyes like Grace," I said. They were slate blue right now.