And so the formalities began between the two of us. Of course we started with the usual stuff, about schools, exams and studying. We then moved on to talk about health, she of course asked about my general health, considering she didn't know much about my struggles. I asked about both her mental and physical health, as we also spoke about the burden and stress of school. Chase seemed to have gotten bored of his phone and, evidently, of the conversation I was having with Olivia. He began my playing with the hairband on my wrist as I attempted to ignore him. His fingers traced the metal on the band and looked up at me questioningly, almost asking what this was. When he realised I wouldn't answer, he removed my hairband from my wrist and began playing with it.

I didn't say anything as long as it kept him entertained.

And so Olivia and I continued speaking for another couple of minutes or so; I deliberately delayed asking her any questions so they didn't seem abrupt or suspicious.

As I continued to speak, Chase got increasingly bored, tossing my hairband onto the floor of his bedroom and trying to find something else about me that would entertain him. He started by picking up my hand and looking at the ring that lay on the middle finger of my right hand. He stared at the ring for a few seconds before kissing my hand.

I rolled my eyes.

I would've attempted to give him some attention until Olivia gave me the perfect opening for my questions. "Have you seen any good films recently?" Her voice was smooth and careless, not even anticipating he importance of that question.

I sat up straight on the bed, fixing my slouch as I got increasingly excited. As I moved my body, Chase's head moved too and he seemed annoyed.

He's an actual child.

I ran my hand through Chase's hair in order to appease him slightly, playing with his short, soft hair as I spoke on the phone. "I literally just watched Bride Wars with Chase," I lied easily.

Chase looked up at me, "I've never even heard of that movie in my entire life," he muttered as I glared at him.

"I thought you were studying," she questioned.

I bit my lip. Fuck. "I mean, that's what I told my mum."

That wasn't a lie.

She laughed, "so you were supposed to be studying with Chase and ended up watching Bride Wars instead?"

"Yeah. Although, to be fair, Chase and I don't even do the same subjects so Bride Wars was our next best option."

She laughed from the other end of the phone call, "Chase must've loved that," she noted sarcastically. "I remember forcing Tyler to watch "Wild Child" with me and he fell asleep." A small giggle escaped with her previous statement.

"He just couldn't wrap his head around destroying a lifelong friendship over a wedding," I continued. I usually hated lying with a passion, being really bad at doing so. But this was different. This had a greater purpose.

"Never said that," Chase quipped quietly as I lightly shoved him.

"Yeah I didn't really understand the quick deterioration of their relationship, but I did understand the desire for the venue," she noted lightly.