xviii| Amicitia

"Sometimes I feel like giving up, but I just can't.
It isn't in my blood."

decem et octo

decem et octo.

amicitia

A state of mutual trust and support between two people.

════════

CHASE DROVE ME HOME NOT LONG AFTER OUR CONVERSATION ABOUT NATE.

I was able to gather a couple of things for my stay at Chase's and shower, but before I did that, Chase and I spoke to my mum for a while. The two of us told her what happened yesterday, being careful not to convey too much of my fear and to make it as small an issue as possible without lying to her. I didn't want to tell her the entire truth for two reasons, firstly because the last thing I wanted to do was worry her, but also because I knew that if she was aware of the whole truth, she'd make me tell someone about it, the police, a therapist. That was the last thing I wanted to do.

Chase didn't agree with my diluting of the truth but I was also aware that my mum had a tendency to panic at the smallest matters, worse than me which is saying something; something as big as what happened last night would have sent her into cardiac arrest.

I, possibly unwisely, left Chase and my mum alone to talk as I headed up to have a quick shower. I was given strict instructions that my shower could not last more than fifteen minutes and I wasn't allowed to dry or straighten my hair, mostly because Chase didn't want to be alone with my mum for too long; the both of us knew the "why aren't you dating?" question was to come up if they were alone for more than twenty minutes. My mum has the habit of asking personal questions when she runs out of small talk.

I showered as quickly as I could, heading straight into my room in my towel and hoping Chase didn't come upstairs. Unlike him, I didn't have the pleasure of having an en suite bathroom and would very much have liked to avoid another towel situation.

As I entered my room, however, I found my phone ringing on the bed. Without looking at the caller ID, I picked it up, holding the towel up with one hand and holding the phone with the other.

"Hello?" I asked as I picked up, struggling to multi-task with a phone in my hand. I decided to put it on loudspeaker and throw it onto the bed whilst I got changed, still not wanting Chase to wait too long.

"Annalise! You're so bad with your phone did you know that? Not only did you ignore my text this morning, but you ignored three calls in the last ten minutes and I'm deeply offended," Reece's voice echoed from the phone on the bed as I let out a small laugh.