xii|Terrore

"All I know since yesterday is everything has changed."

duodecim

duodecim.

terrore

sudden uncontrollable fear or anxiety

════════

THE STUDY ROOM WAS USUALLY REALLY QUIET AROUND THIS TIME; WEDNESDAY AFTERNOONS ESPECIALLY WERE QUIET, EVERYBODY WAS EITHER IN LESSON OR HAD GONE HOME.

But that's when I liked the room the most. When nobody was there to distract me, no gossip about others or even about me. No questions, no asking for help. Just me and my work.

As strange as this was, I enjoyed doing work. I enjoyed doing my coursework and reading the books because I genuinely enjoyed learning. It was easy to forget that when I'm in lessons and I'm rushing to complete the work, not understand it. But just finish it. Or when I'm revising for exams, not taking anything in or understand and questioning, but just to memorise so I can regurgitate it in the exam room.

But this was different. This was just me and my craft. It was about me reading two books that I picked out and having a response to it. My own ideas, my own thoughts and my own arguments, without a time limit.

Before I could start properly, however, the study room door swung open, revealing three of my friends. "Stop whatever you're doing, we're going on a girls' night and you're coming with us," Anastasia declared as she walked in, standing side by side with Violet and Audrey.

"I can't," I complained, "I've got university portfolios and revision to do and I'm stressed out."

Audrey shrugged, "fuck that. We're gonna get drunk."

I laughed, "you guys have fun but I can't."

"No!" Ana interrupted, "I'm not going without you. You've had a shitty month and you're coming with us to forget it."

"Okay, first of all, I'm the only one of us who isn't 18 yet so I can't even get drinks. Secondly, I've got too much to do," I continued. "Thirdly, literally all three of you have the same coursework I do, and I'm the only one who's started on my second draft. Fourthly, I hate drinking and you all know that."

Audrey rolled her eyes, "You're little miss perfect, we get it! We've got plenty of time to finish off the coursework."

I stared at her pointedly, "it's literally due next week and you haven't even read your books."