Read Me A Poem

Now here's a funny story, Veena mused as she took in the man before her. Definitely a fun story to tell her kids in the future.

Embarrassing for the both of them though.

How did they end up in this situation you ask? Well Veena would be delighted to tell you, the up and coming writer that she is. It all began when she was born, as all life stories do, but we aren't interested in events that far behind are we?

No, we are curious about how a self made, most probably decent woman like her ended up at the urinals, looking baffled at a man she barely spoke to while Belinda Carlisse's I Won't Say I'm in Love played in the background.

That story began a few hours ago, when Veena checked in for her flight. She could have sworn that she heard something but thought nothing much of it, just that it was white noise.

With time to spare, she decided to go to the duty free. There she spotted someone looking forlorn. He seemed to be listening to some music, just like her. She ignores it and decided to take a look at the chocolates before moving on to the books at WH Smith.

It just so happened that the man was at the chocolate isle. Unknown to them was the fact that they both were looking for the exact same type: liquor chocolates.

They were more focused on the song playing. It was their favourite. I Want Love by Elton John was keeping Steve occupied and Veena was bopping her head to Jason DeRulo's It Ain't Love.

Neither realized that it wasn't coming from their mobile phones.

Later on, it was when she was the book aisle did she realize that she could hear a song not on her device playing. It occurred when the same man whom she noticed earlier came by and was going through some books.

"Shame there aren't any of Neil Gaiman's books here." He smiled as he noticed her nodding at him.

"Are you a library book? Because I can't stop checking you out."

If anyone's eyes could pop out, it would be his. "Uh..."

Arms stretched out, "The name's Veena, and I assure you, I can live up to your-" she points out a classic nearby.

"Great Expecta- woah. You sure you got the right person?"

"Did Dan Brown write the Da Vinci Code?"

"Stranger danger."

With a huff she pulled out a book and gave it to him, "What do you think of this one?"

"Never read it. I'm more into thrillers

With a small smile she said, " Shame. You should give it a read."

"Maybe I will. Said your name is Veena?"

"Indeed. Veena K D. And you?

"Me. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Is it just me or is this song really being played here?" If I Ever Fall in Love by Shai was playing out loud. Veena loved it but even she knew it's not the kind of music one would hear at an airport.

"No idea." He pointed at his earphones.

"Music?"

"Nope. E-book. Though I think I ought to check it out, it's playing a Shakespearean sonnet."

Veena laughed. How odd. She paid for the book she had pulled out earlier and signed it before giving it to him. "A gift. Who knows maybe you might like it."

"Thankyou, but I got to get going. Nice meeting you...say...this is your book isnt it?"

"Guilty as charged."

He looked baffled. "What do I do?"

"Read it of course, what else?"

"...No one is gonna believe me." He muttered to himself. She spoke out, "A name for a number."

"Deal. I'm Steve D'almeida."

"And I already wrote my contact details."

"What? Why? Is this some sort of scam? Because this isn't how one works."

She laughed. The music seemed to get louder. Steve removed his earphones as he bid her farewell.

She took out the book closest to her and opened it and that's when it hit her.

When two souls destined to be together meet, a song pours out from them. A symphony meant for the two.

...She looked around to see several people looking on at her.

"That wouldn't be a-"

"A soul song? Been awhile since I heard one here and the two of you didn't even realize it!" A clerk replied.

She did the only logical thing. Run fill she could hear music. She ran towards the gates and heard it.

The washroom! She sprinted in and stopped as Steve turned on time for the music to blare in there.

It's too cliche I won't say I'm in Love.

Indeed.

"Veena?! Wh-What are you even? This is the men's room!"

Stunned by her own actions and still in shock, she didn't move.

It seemed like Steve seemed to realize it as well, "The song...is it?"

She nodded.

"My flight...I'm on the flight to-"

"I gave you my number." She interrupted him. "It wasn't just me flirting, maybe we could keep in touch. We should."

The music wasn't loud when weren't looking directly at each other. Or for each other.

They both had a flight to catch, so they went their ways.

Steve sighed as he took his seat in the plane. He noticed someone sit next to him, the sound of Selena's voice making him look at the person.

"What do we have here?"

"What can I say Steve? I'm like a good thriller, once I start you won't have to stop."

"You had me at preface." He said, showing her the book he had begun to read. It was the one she gave and wrote.

"Say, This means we're heading to the same place. You live there?"

"Yes. You?"

"Same. Guess I can ask you this then. Steve, we never knew each other before today but for some unexplainable reason my soul sang for you."

Both knew what was coming and they knew what the answer would be.

"It would be both a Crime and Punishment if you don't let me take you out."