Goodbye

Now Lila never considered herself to be lucky. It was always as though life held something against. Maybe it's the price of her sins in her previous life or maybe it's just plain dumb luck.

Anyways, back to the matter at hand, Lila never considered herself lucky, especially when it was concerned with soul mates.

And for good reason too.

First off, her parents, though soul mates, were terrible for each other. Seeing them made her wary of the idea of soul mates. Moreover, she was dumb, as in she could not speak.

Why was that important you ask? Why because that means she will never know who is her match! Soul mates are found based on your first conversation...not interaction, a flaw according to Lila, but that how's fate apparently works. So when you meet your beloved, your first words to them will be etched onto their skin, thereby letting the both of you know that you are meant to be.

Luckily the world has evolved and people no longer depend on it much, rather they enjoy interacting and finding someone on their own. Though when they do find their soul mate, things often get tricky. Because their soul mates tend to be exactly what they wanted.

So since Lila could not speak, she could never let her soul mate know she is his nor would he know that they are soul mates. Poor guy might spend his life soul mate less but he should be able to move on. After all she doubts that they have even met.

Her thoughts did ring true when that fateful day came. She could recall it as though it were yesterday, maybe because it was indeed yesterday that she met him.

It was the fresher's dance. The theme was masked ball, that was the norm among the young romance seeking youth present. She, just like many others had dressed up well for the occasion and donned a silver mask.

As she went to grab a drink, a boy comes by and holds out his hand. "May I have this dance?" He asks her. She could feel her arm burn, but couldn't make out what was going on since it was a full sleeved dress. She nodded and he smiled.

They danced. Surprisingly they won the Best Couple on the Floor title. It seemed to be a clichéd romance. Yet at the end of the night, he sighs, "You don't talk much do you?"

"What do you think, genius?" She signed. It was nice to find a guy who revealed that he could understand sign language. He revealed that tid but as they danced, asking if she would only respond that way, until she signed back that she is mute.

He just shool his head. "I was wondering what if I was your soul mate."

Huh. She never did think much about it. Such a shame they'd never know.

"I see." He muttered. "You see, if we are soul mates, I might never get a word on arm, because you can't speak while...ok, that sounded mean, I didn't mean it that way but you, you would have definitely gotten a soul mark!"

She looked at him quizzically. She didn't have any mark though, did she? She felt weird earlier, but it must have been the drinks. He had pointed out to her that they had been spiked. She shrugged.

His face fell. She didn't know why but she wanted him to smile again. Maybe it was because everyone looked better when they smiled.

"I guess not then?" He asked, wanting to confirm. She shook her head, not realizing how later that night, she would cry silent tears because she missed the signs.

The poor boy sighed. Once the party was over, they would be parting ways.

Did Lila mention how she felt that the universe was against her?

However, he was sharper. He knew he liked her. He could feel something pull him towards her. That night, he decided, soul mate or not, maybe he could try to get to know her better.

As she heard the bell ring, she rubbed her face dry and went down. Shocked to see him, she enquired as to his presence. When he mentioned his suggestion, she just extended her arm out, revealing her soul mark: May I have this Dance? Scribbled across it.

He laughed. She cried tears of relief and joy.

Maybe, just maybe the universe was aiding her after all. Maybe they can use this as a way to get to know the other better before investing themselves into the relationship unlike her parents and maybe, just maybe, they could be happy together.

With these thoughts, they wished the other goodnight, looking forward to the dawn of the new day. Ready for that time when their farewells won't be goodbyes.