Her Words

It was the middle of summer when she noticed something odd and tingly up her neck.

She was merely ten years old, just a child when she knew she had something different.

Because no matter what anyone said, she could hear her mother controlling her tears everytime she sees the words.

She herself covering them up as she grew older.

James was the first guy she ever had a crush on, she remembers. He was everything a girl wanted at the time but he had already found his soul mate.

She remembers hugging him, holding him tight as he let out his frustration at the unfairness of it all.

"It's not....I just, we were just...and I'm not even legal yet! She was 16."

"So are we." She muttered to him as she rubbed circles on his back.

"But Samantha...She how, how could she just go like that? Let's go Is not supposed to be your last words dammit."

She looked at him with fondness in her eyes. "I know. What were her words though? "

James paused. "She.....her words were right on her thumb. Not yet. I .....I never told those words though."

"Exactly. These words you have are of your first soul mate. My mom explained it to me. This means you can have another chance. Samantha must have lost her soul mate before she met you. But the two of you were perfect together. I don't think she'd want you to be like this. So live for her."

She wanted to believe that Samantha wasn't his. Maybe they mixed their soulmate's. But no one could say. So she said those words her mom had told to comfort her.

James shivered a bit but then held himself steady and smiled. "Thanks. Guess I needed to hear that."

"Anytime"
********
She grew up, got a job and still hadn't found anyone fir herself yet.

She doubts she ever wanted to find her soul mate, the words at her neck too painful to be heard.

She was walking by the street when someone pulled her back.

"Hey there! It's been years! How are ya?"

She was surprised to find a flushed James holding her. The last she saw him...he was a mess.

"Oh hey James! Glad to see you happy. I'm fine."

James smiled. "Yeah. I was a mess those day wasn't I? I'm glad I had someone like you. Your words kept me going."

She smiled. That was what she wanted. She couldn't be happier.

"So....you found someone?" She asked.

"No not yet, but eventually when the time is right, who knows! What about you?"

She shrugged. "No."

James frowned. "What do you mean no? Have you seen yourself? You're gorgeous, smart and the most amazing person I know! Your soul mate will definitely regret not meeting you sooner."

She shrugged, a fond smile on her face. "Maybe it's because I dont want to."

"Why?"

"I....I dont know."

"Oh. Okay." James took her hand. "Alright then. But when you find him, tell me first! No matter what I'll be there for you."

She coughed, desperately hoping that he won't notice her blushing.

"How Cheesy."
********
A week later, she is suprised to find James at work.

"Surprise! Thought I'd drop by to give you these!" He said as he handed over a mug of coffee and pointed at the bouquet.

"One might think you're my boyfriend they way your acting."

James shrugged.

And she smiled. He didnt mind and she wanted it to be such.
*******
Several months had passed since then. James still kept visiting her, giving her presents.

She always smiled. Content with the way things were. It was better this way she decided. Her first and only crush was with her and he wouldn't say those dreaded words.

Afterall they were just bestie now, right?

Then finally, one day he spoke, "listen. I've always been thinking, what if....I mean....it's just....you....ugh.

Its been like forever since we met. And we have been going together almost a year now, though we never said it out loud as such. So I decided I wanted to say....ask...

Will you be mine?"

At that moment everything shattered down for her.

The place began to shake. Everyone started to run, but she was paralysed to the spot.

She could feel her neck, the words burning into her skin.

"No.....no....." She whispered as the place began to fall apart.

James looked shocked. He tried to get up but the ceiling closed in and a block fell on to his legs.

"No. This wasn't how it's supposed to happen!" She shouted out. Desperate and suddenly gained some control, she tried to pull him out.

James was stuck. He couldnt feel his legs. He could see her struggle but didn't know why. She just said no to him, so why did she care? He tried to speak, but the words just wouldn't come out.

"No no no. You weren't supposed to say the words yet. This wasn't how it's supposed to be. I was happy these last few months. Truly happy.

I knew it the moment I saw you. You were the one, but you had someone else.

When we met again months back, I was glad. We were together. But today you had to say it."

She was panting, her body tired...She couldnt see properly, couldn't breathe. The place was shaken up, bits of the cement on her head.

Why did an earthquake have to occur now? Why did he say the words now? Why did she come here? Why did fate play such a cruel trick on her? Why?

James reached his hand out to her. She shook it.

"I always loved you. Somewhere deep down I had a feeling you did too. It made me happy. Those words were like a curse. It's just there as though telling me that they day my soul mate decides to be with me, wants me....that's the day I'll lose him"

She closed her eyes. She seemed to exhausted. Looking at James, she could see tears forming. She tried to move but couldn't.

Maybe, she realized she's also dying. "But you know....it's nice if both of go together isn't it's? Either we both survive or go? Hand in hand?"

She was gad to see him open his eye and look at her. He gave her a weak smile and nodded. Yeah it'll be great. Romantic too.

She smiled. She could feel herself get loose. "Let's go" she whispered, her fingers holding his.

James eyes widened as he saw her close her eyes. He knew it now as he felt the word burn through him. With a soft fond smile, his eyes closed.
******
"We have two bodies here!" Someone shouted.

The rescue team reached and checked the two. "No pulse."

But none of them of moved away. The two bodies, so close, their finger entwined and smiles on their tearful faces.

"They look so happy."

"Maybe it's because they're together."

"It's like she's his and they have gone together to a better place."

And maybe....maybe that's what happened.