As The Years Fly By: 3

Another twenty years.

It has been twenty years since she ran away and hadn't looked back.

Twenty years and today was the day she found herself staring at her reflection the mirror.

She found a grey hair.

Sorrow and guilt ate at her.

Almost fifty years since they first met and she missed twenty years of it.

She knew what it meant, her finally growing up to her age.

She didn't know why she back though, to the house that recieved a decade of joy and love followed by a decade of pain and wishes left dead.

With shaky fingers, she opened the door.

Of course, she thought to herself as she saw the place, he was a sentimental fool. He must have kept it as it was, waiting for her to return.

But she was selfish. She chose to stay away from him and the pain she felt as she saw him age without her.

Now she stared at the walls, filled with pictures of them.

There were a few new ones. A child, a beautiful young girl with his eyes stared back at her from the wall.

Of course he would move on, she thought to herself, they both loved children.

Suddenly, the sound of laughter broke her out of her reverie.

"...Gabbie?"

She looked at the young lady before her. Sharing the same eyes.

Finding herself lost for words, she nodded.

The lady dropped her bag and hugged her tight, "Dad told me you would return. He would always tell me, 'Listen now Gabbie, my angel would return, make sure to welcome her when she comes back home, alright?'"

It was like a dam had been broken. She sobbed, holding onto the daughter of the man she loved.

In between sobs, she apologized. For not being there, for giving up, for missing out on the rest of his life.

The young lady held her tight, whispering words of comfort. She told how her dad refused to re marry but had her through a surrogate.

She explained how her dad would always drive them to the flower stall, buying a peony a day.

Later, when Gabriella tried to leave, she did not let her go.

"Dad wanted me to let you know something.

No matter what, to remember that you're together forever, no matter the ending."