Power

"Where are you going?"

My mother's voice is hurt, chaotically strained, and her eyes are wide with confusion. She's watching me leave, bag full of supplies slung over my shoulder, another bag filled with weapons and equipment (given to me by someone who knows the legends better than anyone else) around my waist.

I bring my hand up, shading my eyes from the burning sun above me, squinting into the distance. "I'm not entirely sure yet," I admit, glancing over at her apologetically. "I just know that I don't want us to be forced back to our beginnings again."

She sighs, nodding in understanding and wrapping her arms around me one last time. "I'm proud of you, Tae," she tells me gently, kissing my forehead and letting me go. "I've never understood why this is something you feel you need to do, but I won't stop you. It's not my place."

I smile at her gratefully, returning the gesture. "Thank you," I say quietly, blinking once, twice, thrice, and then starting my journey, a tiny purple jewel in my hand to help guide me towards my destination.

"What's a kid like you doing here?" a young man asks me brusquely, maybe a few days into my journey, when I find the first village near my own, and I jump, startled out of my wits for a moment. "This is no place for youngsters like yourself, especially on your own. It's not safe."

"I'm not a kid," I return calmly, shaking my head at him. "I dare say I'm older than you, I'm nineteen." He goes red, lowering his head, and I chuckle a little. "I assume I am, then?"

"You are," he mumbles reluctantly, and I take the opportunity to properly look at him. He's tall, pale, muscled, with a long dragon tattoo curling up his arm. His eyes are dark and reserved, but there's something almost sensual about him, about the contrast of his black hair and white skin. He's intriguing. "I'm seventeen."

"Why isn't it safe here?" I ask him curiously, and he shrugs.
"That's what the elders always say."
"So why are you here?" I question, frowning, baffled. He smiles a little, pushing himself off of the wall he's leaning on with a veined hand.

"Instinct told me to stand here today," he explains quietly. "I always got the feeling I was fated to meet someone who'd mean everything to me by the end, and I always knew I'd meet them if I stood here. The old wives' tales of evil creatures don't bother me. I was destined to be here. So here I will be, until what's supposed to happen happens."

I raise an eyebrow at the mention of 'evil creatures', my hand diving into my pocket to find the little jewel. Much to my surprise, it's glowing.

There's definitely something here. The tales are right.

I jolt in surprise, body going completely still, when a winged creature flies out of nowhere. The boy beside me curses, backing up in horror as it comes closer to us, and I take a sword and a small dagger out of my bag. "Here," I say calmly, tossing the latter to him, "I'm assuming you don't have any weapons, and you'll need one."

He nods in thanks, his hands finding a calm hold on the weapon, as I feel my body begin to react to the presence of the winged creature.

It dives down, claws outstretched, and the boy and I duck down at the same time. I tilt the sword upward instinctively, slicing into its belly. There's an ear splitting screech, one that causes the air around us to shake, and it crumbles into dust.

"Damn," the raven haired stranger comments, clearly more than a little bit shocked, "that was impressive. What's your name?"

"Kim Taehyung. Yours?"

"Jeon Jungkook," he says, holding out a hand to me, which I take without hesitation and shake, "what the hell was that thing? And how did you know how to kill it?"