Run Away Baby

The wind picks up, howling like a banshee around my head, whipping at my hair and turning my ears to ice. My body is nearly completely frozen by this point, and voluntary movement is basically impossible, because all I can do is shiver and hope that somebody will save me before I lose consciousness.

I've been running for a few days now, at most, and I'm beginning to regret the choice to go during winter. The thick cotton tunic I've been wearing this whole time is soaked through, and my legs are similarly damp. So much for 'waterproof properties'. I should've known that the merchant was trying to fob me off. I was too desperate to see it, I think.

The inside of my rucksack is reassuringly dry, at least, according to the appearance of the contents. I'm able to take out a dry loaf of bread and eat it quickly as I walk. It scrapes my throat on the way down, but it's much better than nothing. And I can't afford to run out of water. I only have one can left.

They'll be searching for me, I know they will. The problem I always have is that I can never get away when they're distracted. They always have a guard on me. They know that I will do my best to escape the trap they've laid for me, because I simply don't want to be here anymore. I don't want the responsibility.

And this time, if I'm caught, they won't let me outside at all.

I can see it already, the hasty arranged marriage to some random princess from another country, the sudden inclusion in court matters so that it looks like I'm being productive. I would have to get my new wife pregnant within the year, and I just don't see that happening.

I shudder at the thought of even going near a girl like that. I don't have a problem with females as people, I just don't want to procreate with them. It's as simple as that. I'm not attracted to girls. So why would I ever manage to get one pregnant?

My parents, of course, see this as only a minor obstacle. They just have to find the right girl, and I'll suddenly be straight. I'll be a responsible adult, and I'll learn how to take over my father's job perfectly. It'll all be sorted, once someone beautiful enough comes along.

It's not going to work. Of course it's not.

Life doesn't work like that.

"Hey, are you okay? You're literally blue. If that's paint, I won't judge. But if it's not, you need to get somewhere warm."

A soft male voice breaks through the monotonous wailing of the wind, and I jump at how easily it gets to my ears. "I guess I am a little cold," I say quietly, turning around to see a broad shouldered man, who's much prettier than I expected. He smiles a little, holding out a reassuring hand.

"Come with me. I'll bring you to my camp, and we'll get you warmed up. My leader won't be happy, but that's fine. We can deal with that when the time comes." I nod in understanding, raising an eyebrow at the fact that he has a 'leader', but deciding not to question it.
"Thank you, I really do appreciate it," I say sincerely, following him like a lost puppy.

His smile widens, and he chuckles slightly at how grateful I am that he's willing to help me. "Don't mention it, kid, it's really not an issue. I never like to leave someone to suffer. How old are you?"
"N-Nineteen," I say honestly, deciding that the truth is the best option, and his eyes widen.
"You're so young! What are you doing out here-"
"I'd rather not talk about it, if that's okay," I say timidly, and he nods in understanding.

"I get why," he responds calmly, "I felt the same when I joined this group. As you'll see, we're quite close. That makes us very protective of each other. You'll get used to it quickly, I'm sure."

He pushes past a thicket of trees, eyes narrowing instinctively as branches try to gouge out our eyes, driven to insanity by the biting wind, and I spot the faint glowing of a small fire in the distance. I raise a questioning eyebrow at him, too out of breath to ask him verbally whether this is where he's leading me, and he nods, beaming.