Chapter 3

The final bell rings and of course everyone jumps up and rushes out of the classroom in a mad dash. Today was Friday after all. I jump up along with my classmates and flash a grin in Claire's direction, who sits two desks away from me. She beams back and flips her long red and black hair, dyed, out of her grey-green eyes fringed with dark blue painted lashes.

We both rush out of the room and down the hall to our lockers, which are across the hall from each other. After throwing our many books and binders into them, we say a quick "bye" and "see you later," grinning from ear to ear.

I head to my car, still smiling widely. Drake, who normally waits by my car after school for a more private farewell, is not to be seen, and neither is his car.

"Well, we will be seeing each other tonight. He's probably just trying to make tonight special. I should have thought of that..." I jump into my Audi, pull out of my spot, and drive home, already planning my outfit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's 6:30 when I look in the mirror to appraise my look for the last time before Drake comes to pick me up. I take in the purple sparkly flats and the black skinny jeans with the white paint artistically splattered from knee to ankle, one of my favorite pairs.

The purple off-the-shoulder top and white tank top underneath it. 

Straightened hair that falls around my shoulders freely.

Green eyes lined with black liner and long lashes painted black as well. The rest of my face is left make-up free.

I fidget and tug my shirt this way and that, shuffle my feet and bite my lip, anxious for Drake to show up.

With a sigh, I turn away from the mirror and look out the window at the road where the setting sun glints off his silver Infiniti, parked and waiting expectantly. I walk down the stairs quickly, and pull open the door, running smack into Drake. I stumble backwards, but of course he catches my waist before I can hurt myself.

"Thanks... Wait, I thought you'd be in the car!" I practically shriek, looking over my shoulder down the hall, attempting to push him out of the doorway, in the direction of the car.

He's not budging.

"Well, aren't you a determined little thing?" He smiles down at me and my sad excuse for a shove. What can I say, the boy is like stone.

"Yes, I am, and I know you love it. Now why are you out of the car?! You knew I was on my way." I ask again, still looking over my shoulder for any sign of a certain person, or certain set of people, I should say.

"I was just making sure... Jan, they aren't home; I saw them drive out as I was driving in. Stop being so tense, darling, you're putting me on edge."

I was startled for a second, but them I remembered it was Drake, with his crazy intuition and perception powers. Kind of hard to keep secrets from the guy. I breathe a sigh of relief at his words.

"I'm guessing you're ready to go now, then?" He asks me with a sparkle in his beautiful grey eyes, his hand extended to take mine.

My eyes slide up and down his body, as I take his offered hand, noticing his attire for the first time.

Dark wash jeans cling perfectly in all the right places. A sky blue Aeropostale shirt fits just right for his muscled chest and biceps. No, he couldn't be considered ripped, but he was far from flabby. His muscles were definitely noticeable, but not ostentatious, almost like a cat.

Perfect in my book.

Holding onto my hand firmly, he pulls me towards his car, opening my door for me and sliding into the driver's side with ease before I could even get my seatbelt on. The engine roars with power before quieting down to a soft growl, an animal on the prowl, waiting to pounce.