Chapter Five: Aftermath

L O U I S E    A L D E I M

I woke up to the pungent smell of a hospital disinfect, invading my nostrils. The room was silent apart from my heavy breathing and the faint chirping of birds coming from outside. I slowly opened my eyes, squinting in attempt to sharpen the blurred images before me.

I tried to glance around pero may pumipigil sa leeg ko para gawin yun. Nagsawa na lang ako sa pagtitig sa puting kisame ng silid na kinaroroonan ko. Paano ako napunta dito? And more importantly, how long have I been here? I shut my eyes, trying to remember what had exactly happened. Then it hits me with a bang. The memory of it all starts to occupy my thoughts.

The weird happenings in the school, the warning, the heavy downpour, the shattering of glasses, the accident, the minotaur, the bloody face of my unconscious brother and the death of my parents.

Napahawak ako sa ulo ko dahil sa biglang pagsakit nito. Dali-dali akong bumangon para umupo but I winced when I did at napahiga ulit ako. Pakiramdam ko ay dinagaanan ako ng paulit-ulit ng isang mabigat na bagay.

"You shouldn't have done that," a voice suddenly spoke to my side. At kahit na nahihirapan, napatingin ako doon at ngayon ko lang napansin ang isang lalaki na prenteng nakaupo sa sofa habang nagbabalat ng mansanas. Pero hindi ko siya napagmasdan nang maigi because I am well aware on the excruciating pain spreading throughout my body. Napapikit na lang ako at nagsimulang magtubig ang mga mata ko.

Napansin siguro ng lalaki yun because I heard his footsteps coming towards me. Naramdaman ko siya sa tabi ng hinihigaan ko kaya dumilat ulit ako para tingnan siya.

"Gusto mo bang umupo?" tanong niya sa akin. Tinitigan ko muna siya then I nodded hesitantly. "Here, let me help you." He extended his arms and held my back to guide me para hindi na naman ako mabigla sa pag-upo gaya nang nangyari kanina.

Naglakad siya pabalik sa sofa at kinuha ang mansanas na nabalatan na niya tapos ay iniabot niya ito sa akin. I stared at the apple first then at the man before I took it.

"Hindi ka pa pwedeng gumalaw ng maayos because you're still not okay. Some of your wounds are still fresh," he told me. "And the thing that you did earlier, don't do it again. Okay?" Then he went back to his previous seat and opened the book he was holding.

Napatango na lang ako and that's when I noticed the bandages wrapped on different parts of my body. I had bandages on both of my arms . I can also feel it on my torso and my legs. But the thing that I noticed the most is the cast on my neck. Kaya pala hindi ko maigalaw nang maayos ang leeg ko.

I stared at the man again, wondering who he was and what he was doing in my room. As I looked at him, I can't help but to notice his looks. He has a fair complexion matched with black hair which is slightly curled. He is also wearing eyeglasses but it didn't make him look really old. In fact, he looked to be around in his mid-thirties pero parang hindi. He's wearing a blue long sleeves and the sleeves are rolled up to his arms. Overall, he's a fine looking man.