T H I R T Y - N I N E

Kassi

"Her journal?" he scrunched up his nose "Why would you think her journal would help us?"

"Because" I shook it "I read a little bit of it and something tells me that she isn't what she seems either"

Rhys said nothing but stared at me.

Something clicked

"But you already knew that, didn't you?"

He sighed "Has anyone ever told you that your too damn smart for your own good?"

I shrugged "No, not really. I usually just sit back and observe, silently putting together the pieces in my head"

"Come on" he nudged me again "Let's talk inside"

"Are you finally ready to share with me every piece of information you have?"

"I wasn't not going to share information with you" he put his hand to my lower back, guiding me through the confusing house "It's just the timing was never right"

"Sure..." I drawled out

He paused, causing me to halt "I was going to tell you Kassi"

I just stared into his pretty eyes, getting lost in the grey depths

I turned away "Do you have any idea who Ares fought with?"

He nodded

"And did you know he was a Protector?"

"No," he shook his head "I had no idea he was a Protector"

"I thought that all the Protectors were accounted for?" I cocked my head to the side "How did he manage to slip through your grasp?"

He opened his office door and gestured for me to sit

Instead, I remained standing.

He rolled his eyes and rounded the desk to sit in the chair "I have no idea how he managed to hide his status from us"

He started clicking something on his computer before dialing a number on his desk phone

"What are you doing?" I asked

"Hello?" he said, ignoring my question "Yes, am I speaking to Marie?

"Would you be so kind as to meet me in my office, I need to discuss something with you regarding your son"

He said his goodbyes and then hung up the phone

"What was that about?"

"That was the boy's mother" he leaned back in his chair

"Okay..." I drawled out in confusion "What does she have to do with anything?"

"Well, when your Protectors were chosen, they were immediately brought here because they were found passed out and unresponsive. If the boy is one of your Protectors, I want to know why he wasn't brought here immediately"

"They all just passed out?" I asked in shock, not knowing what else to say

He nodded "Yeah, and they were unresponsive for days"

"So every single one of my friends were passed out for days? Not knowing what was going on?"

He nodded "The Matthew twins were passed out longer than my friends. About four days longer"