T H I R T Y - T H R E E

Kassi

My "brother" and I just stared at each other as we stood in the kitchen.

He took a sip of his coffee before setting it down on the counter top.

I raised an eyebrow and waited for him to speak.

When he continued to just stare at me, I started to get annoyed and instead of saying anything, I began to search for some cereal.

"Don't you want to know?"

"Wanna know what?" I asked in annoyance, continuing with my search.

"Want to know what I know?"

"I'm not going to beg for the information if that's what you're asking" I looked at him dead in the eye "If you were going to tell me, you would have done so already as soon as I stepped through that door instead of assessing me"

His lips twitched but otherwise, his faced remained stoic.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I need to find some breakfast before I visit my brother" he winced at the brother part.

"Gramps was right about you" he said "You're smarter than you let on"

"Where I'm from, you have to be" I said before finally locating the cereal.

Now only if I could find a bowl and spoon.

Why in the hell did Rhys family have to have such a huge and complicated kitchen arrangement?

I was one second away from saying "Screw it" and skip breakfast.

"And where are you from exactly?"

"All over" I replied vaguely "My Mom is an Freelance artist that likes to travel for inspiration. Before she dropped us off here, we lived in a neighborhood in New York"

"Was it nice?"

I snorted "It was comfortable"

Silence again

"Ah ha!" I muttered in triumph when I found both the bowl and the spoon.

"You must be somewhat curious" he said after a moment

I raised an eyebrow "Oh I definitely am. Do not mistake that. I don't think anyone who found out that their dog was actually their long lost brother who happened to be trapped by some weird looking collar and living with their long lost grandfather in a creepy looking house wouldn't be curious to know how that came to be"

"Than, why aren't you asking me to tell you?" he raised an eyebrow

"Because I'm not that person" I sighed, suddenly not hungry anymore "You'll either tell me or you won't. I can't make that decision for you and neither can anyone else, but if you're asking me to beg to hear what you have to say, I won't. I'm just not that type of person"

He stared at me

"Anyways" I turned around and waved "See you later"

"Wait!" he gripped my arm

"What?" I turned in surprise

"We have a lot to discuss" he said firmly before tugging me to the dining room table

I stopped in my tracks and he gave me a confused look

"I agree" I nodded "But first, I need to help my brother"