T W E N T Y - T H R E E

Kassi

I woke up to loud whispers coming from the hall.

"Bloody Hell" I murmured into my pillows "Can't a girl get some sleep around here?"

I went to pull my pillow over my face when my hand caught air. I sat up when I finally realized where I was and why I was here.

"Bloody hell" I paused, taking in my words "Why the heck am I saying 'Bloody Hell'? I'm Greek, not British"

The whispering increased

"You can't keep me from my family!" an unrecognizable voice pleaded "I finally found them and you're keeping me away from them!"

I inched closer to the door but then froze when I heard a very familiar second voice.

"I'm keeping you safe" My grandfather hissed to the stranger

"But..."

"But nothing!" My grandfather whisper-yelled "I kept you safe this long and I'm not going to let you ruin it and not only endanger your life but also theirs. No way. Not when You know who is watching us like Hawks"

"But they don't even suspect..."

"I SAID NO!!" Now, my grandfather was full on yelling at the mystery stranger "Now, Go Home. You've caused enough trouble"

There was shuffling of footsteps and I quickly ran back to my seat and pretended to be asleep.

My heart was pounding both from the conversation and the rush of not getting caught.

"You can stop pretending to sleep now"

Damn it!

Spoke too soon

My eyes popped open and I glared at the old man as I sat up.

"Who were you talking to just now?"

He raised an eyebrow "I'm sorry? The last I recall, I was the adult and you were the child. I don't need to tell you anything"

I glared "True, but I'm not legally a child. I turned 18 a month ago"

"Do you pay bills?"

This time I raised an eyebrow "What?"

"Answer the question" he said seriously "Do you pay bills?"

"No"

"Have your own house?"

"No"

"Does your Mama still claim you on her taxes?"

"Yes"

"Than by me standards, and all the standards of the parents in the world, you are in fact a child. Therefore, I don't need to tell you anything regarding my business"

I glared at him like there was no tomorrow, willing him to catch on fire or something.

"Did the Doctors come in while I was sleeping" I spat out

He nodded "The boy should be ready to go soon. They just want to watch him for a little longer before he officially gets checked out"

I stood "I'm going to the Cafeteria. I'll be back in 15 minutes. If anything happens to him, I won't hesitate to stuff you"

"Aren't you going ask me if I want something from the Cafeteria?"

"Did you offer me some coffee earlier?" I smirked when he became quiet "Plus, you're the adult here. Don't adults usually bring back things for the children?"

I swung open the door before closing it to him chuckling quietly in his seat.  

~~~~~

"That will be $9.95" the bored cashier said from behind her register.

"Geez" I muttered before taking out a ten "That much for a water and a small plate of food"

"Look, I don't make the rules. I'm just here to take your money" the cashier snarked as she gave me my change.

"What a Rip off"

She shrugged

I was about to reply when my phone started ringing.

I quickly made my way toward the exit, knowing that I would not be able to get any reception in the damn hospital.

I nearly dropped the rip off investment I call a meal when I saw my mother's number flashing across the screen.

FINALLY!!

I hit the accept button before firing off questions "What the Hell Mom!! I've been trying to get a hold of you for ages!! Where are you? Something happened..."

Silence

I checked the call to see if we somehow managed to disconnect but no, the signal's strong and the seconds continued to accumulate so...

"Mom, you there?"

Silence

"Mom?"

Click

"What the..."

I redialed and when I did, I nearly dropped my phone.

"The number you have dialed is no longer in service..."

Just then, screeching car tires sounded as a black truck exited the hospital parking lot.