T W E N T Y - E I G H T

Kassi

"Ares!" I yelled from my closet door "Get dressed buddy, we're leaving in thirty minutes!"

"Okay!" he yelled back before I heard footsteps on the stairs.

I smiled to myself, glad that he was feeling better, and turned back into my closet to figure out what I was going to wear.

If I was just meeting my friends, I would just throw on some sweats and a t-shirt and just leave like that. However, I wasn't just meeting my friends. I was going to Rhys house, something that both excited me and made me nervous at the same time.

Instead of agonizing over what I was going to wear for a guy, I just grabbed my usual go-to outfit, which happened to be my favorite pair of worn jeans, a black v-neck, flannel, and ankle boots.

Just as I was about to finish putting on some simple stud earrings, one fell out of my hand and slipped through the cracks in the wooden floor.

"Oh come on!" I groaned before dropping to my knees and searching for my earring.

I looked through the cracks and saw it lying on dirty floor.

I leaned back and sat on my heels, exhaling my breath, and thinking of ways to get that earring back.

Normally, if it was any other one of my earrings, I wouldn't mind leaving it there because it was too much work for a stupid earring but in this case, this earring was one of the last things my father had given me before he died.

I couldn't just leave it there.

So that only left me with one option

I had to tear up the old man's floor boards.

Did I feel bad for ruining the guy's house?

No, because as soon as Ares was cleared to come home, our Grandfather just upped and left us to fend for ourselves.

Literally

He only left us a noted with some cash that said he'd be back in 2 weeks because of some type of convention he had with some buddies of him.

I really didn't care where he went but I know Ares was affected. All he wanted was to spend time with his grandfather because he never really had that chance before.

Ares wasn't even thought of when my dad's father died and although I hardly had the chance to bond with my Pappous, I had seen pictures that showed the love he had for me.

I wanted the same for Ares but apparently, our Grandfather didn't want anything to do with us.

Anyways, I was brought back to reality when I realized the current dilemma at hand.

I noticed a little piece of wood missing at a corner of the floor board and decided the best course of action was to try to lift the board.

Surprisingly, it lifted right up when I added slight pressure to it.

"Awesome!" I grinned and when I reached down to grabbed the earring, I found another surprise.

Not only was my earring there but it was also sitting on, in which I assumed to be the dirty floor, a dark leather bound journal.

I picked both items up and safely put the floorboard back before leaving the closet and sitting on my bed.