Early Morning Mischief

Start from the beginning

"Piñatas are made to be broken."

"Oh be quiet," Lily sighed. "I'm still right about rules."

"Does that mean you don't want to see the kitchens, Evans?"

"I didn't say that," Lily said quietly. "How do you get in?"

James grinned, stretched out his forefinger, and tickled the huge green pear. It began to squirm, chuckling, and right before Lily's disbelieving eyes it turned into a large green door handle. James stood to the side, leaving Lily to turn the handle and push open the door. The hidden door lead them into an enormous, high-ceilinged room, as large as the Great Hall above it, with mounds of glittering brass pots and pans heaped around the stone walls, and a great brick fireplace at the other end. There were four long wooden tables, positioned, Lily noticed, exactly beneath the four house tables above. Suddenly something small hurtled towards them from the middle of the room, squealing "James Potter, sir! James Potter!" The little green creature, who had bat-like ears and bulging eyes like tennis balls, hit James hard in the midriff and hugged him tightly.

"Hiya, Mimsy," said James. As soon as Mimsy let go, several other little elves came to greet the boys. Lily soon noticed that there were at least a hundred elves standing around the kitchen, all wearing a tea towel stamped with the Hogwarts crest and tied like a toga.

"James Potter brought a lady, sir, two ladies, sir," Mimsy squealed excitedly, beaming up at Lily and Marlene.

"Hello, Mimsy, I'm Lily Evans and this is Marlene McKinnon, it's very nice to meet you," said Lily, smiling and offering the house elf her hand, which Mimsy seized, pulling her into the kitchen. She stopped at the far end of the tables near the brick fireplace. Lily thanked the little elf, who hurried off, and went to sit down at the nearest table.

"Where's your house pride, Evans?" said James, sitting down at Gryffindor's counterpart table and holding out his hand to Lily. Lily took it with a sigh and joined the others.

"Does anyone have anything to eat?" Marlene asked. "This feels weird without food."

"Mimsy's back," Peter said gleefully.

"Yes, but I think eating her might be frowned upon, Peter," said Marlene, shaking her head.

"No, stupid, she's bringing us food!" said Sirius, patting Mimsy's head and taking a leftover chicken drumstick.

"They're dead helpful," Peter said through mouthfuls. "Brought me a whole pig once when I said I was peckish."

"As good as it may be," said Sirius, "We're not here for the food. We've got an elaborate end-of-year prank to plan. Who's in?"

"I definitely am," said Marlene.

"Me too," said Peter, quickly.

"Of course, we're in," said James, indicating to Remus. "Lily?" he asked. Suddenly realising he'd been holding Lily's hand the entire time, he let go quickly.

"Evans won't do it, she's too much of a prig," smirked Sirius.

"I'm in," said Lily, scowling at Sirius.

"Excellent," said James, thrilled. "Let's get started."

"The teachers are expecting something this year- if they have any idea what it is, they'll try to stop us. We need something sneaky," said Remus.

James agreed. "I think we need a decoy prank. We'll let the teachers catch us at one prank, they'll let their guards down, and then we carry out the real prank with no one sneaking around."

"That means two pranks," said Sirius, grinning. "Sounds like fun. Any ideas?"

"We could put aging potion in the teachers' drinks," suggested Remus.