Chapter 23

I calmed myself down trying to reason with myself to go back to the shop as I couldn't leave Arthur to fight my battles until Edward returned. I had no idea where he was or how long he would be. It was useless I couldn't get myself to go face them alone and the more I tried to convince myself that I misreading the signs and they were out to help me marry Edward, the more this nagging feeling consumed me saying 'stand your ground'.

I sat waiting for over an hour before I heard a car pull up so ran to the front window. It was Edward! I ran and opened the door.

"That was quick," I said as he walked towards me.

"I was in the capital," he replied.

"How did you know I was here?" I asked.

"I called back to tell you how long I was going to be and Mary told me you had escaped here," he said coming in and closing the door. No hug, kiss or intimacy, he was in official prince mode.

I sat down on a chair and twiddled my fingers nervously.

"I don't have long," he said.

I nodded that I understood he was not staying.

"I need you to tell me what happened from the time I left until now. You need to be very clear and don't leave anything out," he said as I took a deep cleansing breath.

"Do you want a drink?" I asked.

"No thank you, I don't have time," he replied nodded for me to begin.

I rattled it off and tried not to look at this expression, but when I got to the bit where his mum watched a film with me I got a bit emotional as I used to do that with my own mother, he reached out a hand to place it on top of mine. I had seen him do with others at the care home and whilst it was soothing I knew there was a distant between us that hadn't been there when he left. I recounted the events that had passed. I didn't make assumptions or say how I felt; I just described it visually and repeated the words verbatim.

"Is that everything?" he asked.

"Yes. I know I over reacted demanding the phone so I could talk to you and I know you are angry with me for making you come here," I said trying not to cry. "But I guess I just needed your support or someone to hide behind as I feel like the prize exhibit is a zoo and I was suffocating. I am used to being alone and I just get used to one person when another arrives and they are all pretty intimidating," I stopped talking as I was close to tears and didn't want to be a cry baby.

"We will go face them together," he said walking towards the door. He held it open for me and even when we walked back to the car he still stood a few steps behind me. I sat in the car and he sat opposite. No hand holding or even a peck on the cheek.

"Is the engagement cancelled?" I asked.

"What engagement? he asked.

It was like a shot to the heart. "Oh," I mumbled and nodded that I understood. He looked confused.

"Wait, why are you... oh you meant our engagement. Sorry I thought you meant 'engagement' as in 'prior engagement' that I had to push back to come here. I was trying to get some sleep so there was 'no prior engagement', that is what I meant," he explained as we pulled up at the shop.

I opened the car door and got out. He followed as I noted his mother's car was back.

"I have to apologise I'm not in the best of moods and I mistook your meaning of 'engagement'. We are getting married, if you will still have me after this mess is sorted out," he said walking in to the shop. "I won't be talking English as something's don't translate very well, so I apologise on advance," he said before walking up the stairs.