Chapter 22

The next morning I was dog-tired with a headache and felt the onset of a cold. I couldn't get warm and just wished everyone would go away so I could be on my own and sleep all day. It was a selfish thought but it was there none the less. Plus it would never happen as I have a shop to run.

I didn't have to worry about the baby as Edward's mother took him to the hospital to visit his parents. The minute they all left I went upstairs and lay on my bed as though claiming back my space. It was silly to feel invaded but I suppose it was because I didn't have time to prepare and I was used to be alone up here. Now I was surrounded by people I barely knew, felt very self conscious around and I no time for myself to have Edward pervy thoughts time. No bubble bath with a glass of wine, day dreaming about him and what I would do if he walked in.

"Victoria," Mary yelled.

I tutted as my fantasy was invaded.

"What!" I yelled annoyed.

"Edward is on the phone," she yelled back.

I raced down and snatched it.

"Hello," I said into the handset and waited for his voice to send my heart into a whirl.

"Hello gorgeous," he said trying to sound chipper but I knew he was lying on a bed somewhere fighting sleep just so he could talk to me.

"You sound tired are you sure you should be calling?" I asked.

"Yeah sorry, I just wanted to hear your voice and check you were ok. You must be feeling a bit overwhelmed with everyone there. A bit like the invasion of the royals," he joked.

"Erm... sort of but I don't mind really. I'm just a bit tired and didn't have time to mentally prepare for all the accents, people to cater to and put up for the night. Plus I'm feeling really bad about not going to the hospital," I replied.

"I'll arrange for you to receive payment for the hospitality..."

"Wait... No!" I said horrified. "That is not why I mentioned it at all. I feel really bad now," I sighed. "I just meant they are used to a higher level of hospitality and..."

"There is nothing wrong with where you live," he said. "We lay in bed eating cold pizza your first night in Monaco."

"I just feel like I've got to ensure everyone is happy at all times and don't spoil what you have here anonymity wise," I tried to explain.

"You worry too much, they can look after themselves. You've been sleepwalking," he added.

I tutted and sighed as he confirmed what I thought I heard last night. Someone had told him!

"Maybe I can arrange for you to come see me this weekend..."

"I don't feel up to it. I have the shop and I think I'm getting a cold," I said quickly knowing that I was making excuses but what the hell. I was starting to feel suffocated, not by him but by it all.

He was silent but I could hear him breathing... in fact I could hear him thinking.

"Victoria," Mary called.

"I have to go there are customers waiting," I said reluctantly. "One minute!" I called to Mary.

He sighed, "I assume you don't want me to come there if I can rearrange it," he said sounding upset.

"What... well I don't want you to rearrange things and let people down."

"I'm sorry if I have made your life difficult, I didn't intend to."