Chapter 34

Three weeks later.

"Nothing is ever 100%," the specialist said. "What happens with gun shot injuries like yours is they patch you up to save your life. That is their goal but can often result in scarring tissue or other complications later on in life, which prevent pregnancy."

I held Edwards hand tight.

"What I will suggest is that we run some tests to see what the extent of the damage is. You are still ovulating, producing eggs and menstruating which are all good signs for potential natural conception. If the ovum are viable and you are just not catching pregnant we could look to see what is preventing that, it could be some scarring tissue which we could look to remove or look at the option of artificial insemination. That comes with the risk of multiple pregnancies."

"I'll have as many as you can get in there," I said.

"However, there could be a chance that your own womb is unable to sustain a pregnancy full term and surrogacy could be another option. We would fertilize your egg with Edwards sperm and place it in a surrogate. The child would be yours biologically, you would just be unable to carry the child full term."

I hated that thought but still would go through with anything for a baby, especially with Edward.

"I have a copy of the MRI scans of your abdomen following your most recent accident but would still like..."

I squeezed Edwards hand at the thought of an internal. No way! Oh god. Please no!

"... to scan your ovaries again today."

Oh god... shit... breathe.

"We will use this device," he said holding up a long white object with a rolling wheel on the end. "Place a sheath over it and some lubricant. We place it inside the vagina and scan the ovaries."

Do not run... do not panic... you've done this before... breathe.

"It is a very quick and painless procedure. Although there may be some discomfort but I can assure you that it will immediately provide us with a very clear picture of the health of your ovaries. We booked your appointment for today as based on your menstrual cycle you should be ovulating which again will give us a clear picture of the ovum. It will be a few minutes and a lot of answers."

Edward pressed a reassuring kiss to the back of my hand.

"If you would like to go behind that screen and put on this gown..."

I nearly broke Edwards hand with a terrified squeeze.

"I'll help you," he said taking the gown.

"If you can lie on the bed and let me know when you are ready," the specialist said as Edward helped me up.

I tried to get my mind focused but the minute we got behind the screen... "Please don't make me do this," I pleaded to Edward.

"We are getting this out of the way. You said you would crawl over broken glass for a baby, all he is asking you to do is get your knickers off," he said smiling.

"This is not funny," I said glaring but he was still smirking which made me laugh.

I shook my head at him as I started to strip down to my underwear. He helped me with the gown and the stupid cast they said they couldn't take off when we checked a few weeks ago. I would be free of it in three hours though. Another appointment. Yep two in one day. I was getting a bravery certificate today!

The gown on, I shrugged out of my man pants... yes I was still wearing Edwards underwear. It was practical and comfortable.

"Ready," Edward called as I lay my naked bum cheeks on a ice cold tissue papered examination bed. God they were hideous.