Chapter 6

Several months later in the middle of one of the hottest days Mary came running back into the kitchen as I made some salads.

"Quick hide," she said shoving me into the pantry and closing the door.

"Are you sure she is not here?" Gerard said. "I promised to introduce her to my wife and child. They are here with me now and I would like to keep my promise."

I opened the door.

"I'm here," I said and Mary rolled her eyes. "I was in the pantry sorry Mary," I said as though she couldn't find me as I was out of sight.

"Oh that explains it," she said and walked off to serve a customer.

"Where are they then?" I asked.

"Outside at a table," he said excited and rushing me out to see them.

"Hello Thia," I said as I approached the table and smiled widely.

His wife stood and gave me a hug. "It's an honour to meet you," she said. Her hair tied up in colourful wrap, her skin as dark as Gerards and her figure was to die for as a floral dress flowed over her curves like icing on a cake.

"The honour is mine," I said smiling. "You look beautiful," I said gesturing to her dress.

"Thank you," she said and smiled at her husband coyly.

"Here is my son," Gerard said proudly to a boy asleep in a pram.

"Theo has got so big," I said bending down so I could take a proper look.

"You remembered our names," she said astonished.

"Of course," I replied making the baby stir from his nap. I stood up and sat on a chair so as not to alarm him. "What can we get you to eat?" I asked.

"What do you have?" she asked.

"Come and have I look," I said pulling her up to come with me.

I showed her around the shop and introduced her. I even showed her my apartment, which she loved. We went back to the table with tea and cakes as Gerard played with his son on a swing I had installed in the soft play area as the side of the extension. His little boy was loving it and howled laughing as Mary pretended to grab his feet and Gerard pushed him.

"This baby is a delight," Mary called over. "I'm taking him home with me."

Thia smiled proudly.

"How did you get here?" I asked. "Was it on the boat?" I asked trying to sound blasé.

"Yes," she replied and tried to read my expression.

"Do you steer and open the locks?" I asked making that sound like the best bit.

"Yes all the time, I love it," she said.

We were interrupted by crying as Theo was taken off the swing to come and eat.

"Awww poor baby," I said pulling over a highchair and fetching a bib. He soon stopped crying as he knew food was coming. "Mmm," I said as Mary brought over his dinner. We had a range of baby food made from fresh produce now as the mothers all loved it and so did the babies.

He shuffle about it excitement and kept his eye on the bowl as I started to feed him so they could eat their dinner.

"Oooo he likes that," Gerard said as his son tried the first mouthful and began drooling like mad and yelling for more.

"Chicken, sweet potato and peas," I said to the baby in a sing song voice as I gave him some more.

He had scoffed it all in two minutes flat. I passed him his juice whilst I fetched the pudding.