Chapter 2

"Hello, are you ready for me to take your order?" I asked a customer. He looked very formal. I assumed he was here for an elderly relative's funeral as that was usually why people wore suits.

"A shot of espresso with a glass of cold water," he replied.

"Can I interest you in cake or sandwich to go with it?" I asked.

"No thank you," he replied looking me up and down as though assessing me.

I filled his order and went about my work. It was nearly the end of the day.

"I believe I owe you some money for the cup cake," he said appearing at the till.

"No it is on the house," I replied.

He looked puzzled.

"You just looked like you needed something sweet but not filling like a slice of cake or sandwich. They are my own cupcakes I just gave you one in case you wanted it," I replied.

"Coconut," he replied.

"Yes, working here I get a taste for what someone might like. I thought you would coconut," I replied feeling a little edgy as he looked me over like a window dresser with a dummy.

"Very astute observation," he said almost to himself.

I didn't reply as I stared back at him.

"What brings you here?" I asked as a few moments of staring at each other.

"A friend recommended it," he replied.

"Well pass on my thanks," I replied as we often had recommendations.

"I will. Thank you for the hospitality," he said and turned to leave.

"Wait!" I called my heart racing. He turned. I pulled up a cake box and placed in a slice of Walnut cake. "Give this to your friend and tell him I said hello," I said holding it out.

He paused for a moment before accepting the gift and leaving.

'Hospitability' was a word Edward had used and I hoped he would give him the cake and pass on my message. I went to bed with a smile on my face and imagined him eating it and saying it was the best Walnut cake ever again.

I had secretly hoped that he would turn up but he didn't and with the recent loss of George who had passed away peacefully in his sleep, I was at an all time low. George had left me some money in his will and I was able to expand the cafe. Local art students displayed their work and the build was designed by the college architects as part of a project. It went so well with the professor using it as an example that I didn't have to worry about it. I did however have to close for one week. It was the worse week to close as it was the anniversary of the death of my family and I always liked to keep busy so I didn't revert back to how I was when it happened.

I sat by the canal feeding the ducks and swans, staring into space when a canal barge came past and stopped.

"Would you like to come aboard?" a voice asked.

I looked up to see the man from the cafe who had ate the coconut cupcake. I shook my head and stood walking back towards the cafe. It was chaos there but it would stop my mind from going over and over the same thing like a stuck record.

"We are finished for the day," the foreman said a few hours later.

"Thank you. See you tomorrow," I replied.

I picked some flowers from the garden and took them down to the bridge. I placed a kiss on each one and dropped them into the river before rushing the other side to watch them pass me. I had another good cry and walked home.