Day One in Training

Gobber: Welcome to Dragon Training!Gobber: The recruit who does best will win the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village.

Astrid: No turning back.

Tuffnut: I hope I get some serious burns!

Ruffnut: I'm hoping for some mauling, like, on my shoulder or lower back.

Astrid: Yeah, it's only fun if you get a scar out of it.

Hiccup: [deadpan] Yeah, no kidding, Pain. Love it.

Snotlout: [joking] Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify him, or...?

Me: Get over here Snotface, I'll stick my fist up your dirty mouth.

Tuffnut: Oh great, who let *her* in?

Me: My Dad. Looks like you and Ruffnut aren't the only twins in Berk anymore.

Ruffnut and Tuffnut looked at each other and smirked at us. I may have lived on the streets, but I know how to fight. Hiccup put his hand on my shoulder. I looked at him as he headed toward the other twins. "If you lay a hand on my sister, I will hurt you." Tuffnut laughed and Ruffnut chuckled. They left us alone and we were hand-in-hand as we reached the center of the training grounds.

Gobber: Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight. The Deadly Nadder...

Fishlegs: [speaking rapidly] Speed Eight, Armor Sixteen...

Gobber: The Hideous Zippleback...

Fishlegs: Plus Eleven Stealth, times Two...

Gobber: The Monstrous Nightmare...

Fishlegs: Firepower Fifteen...

Gobber: The Terrible Terror...

Fishlegs: Attack Eight, Venom Twelve...

Gobber: [shouts] Can you stop that?

[normal voice]

Gobber: And... the Gronckle!

Fishlegs: [whispering to Hiccup] Jaw Strength Eight.

He reached over to open the Gronckle's pen. I shouted, "Wait, aren't you going to show us first?" No answer.

[a Gronkle is let out into the training ring]

Gobber: Today is about survival. If you get blasted, you're dead. Quick! What's the first thing you're going to need?

Hiccup: A doctor?

Fishlegs: Plus five speed?

Astrid: A shield!

Gobber: Shield! Go!

Gobber: Your most important piece of equipment is your shield! If you must make a choice between a sword or a shield, take the shield!

I could see the Nut twins fighting for a shield, it really didn't work out for them since the shield was blown to pieces. One by one the other Viking teens were struck out. It was me, Hiccup, and Astrid. As the Gronkle headed toward Hiccup, I stood in the way. I stared at the Gronkle's eyes and it seemed scared. It then backed away slowly. As I moved away from Hiccup, the Gronckle saw us both and tried to shoot it's flames at us. Gobber grabbed the Gronckle and yelled at it, "Go back to bed you overgrown sausage!" The Gronckle was put back in it's pen. Gobber looked at us and quoted, " Remember a dragon will always, always, go for the kill."

"So why didn't you?" Hiccup asked about the Night Fury. I heard a small roar, followed by...scratching? I motivated Hiccup to follow me, and we came across the one and only Night Fury. Hiccup was so amazed, that he began drawing it. I heard a roar similar to the one we heard right now. I, being so curious, walked to the edge and met right before my eyes, another Night Fury. Hiccup called out my name and when he saw me on the edge, he freaked out. "Eira, don't worry, I'll get you off there. He tried to reach me, and I tried to reach him. Our hands nearly touched, when I took the wrong step and slipped. "HICCUP!" I yelled. "EIRA!" He yelled back. The Night Fury I had been staring at, grabbed my arms and set me down on the ground. Not next to my brother, but in front of the one he was drawing. 

I wanted to run, but my eyes seemed to connect with both of the dragons. I felt a sudden bloodlust coming from he one I was looking at before I fell. The other one kept its distance. I heard Hiccup calling my name and telling me to get out of here. I heard a small roars from the Night Furys as if they were arguing.  The bloodlust suddenly disappeared and both dragons sat very still. Too still.  I got my chance and ran out of that small place.  I looked back to see that they both had only one part of their tail. I looked at Hiccup as he checked if I was okay.  I said, "Hiccup, I 'm fine. The Night Furys have only one part of their tail." Hiccup replied, "Yeah, I know."