(one)

Harry's POV

I jerked up, my eyes widened. I looked to my left and right to see where I was, and saw a couple of band posters. I was in my room.

It was just a dream.

James has been dead. For one year. I still can't believe it.

My little brother is gone.

My hair clung onto my neck, and beads of sweat were formed on my forehead. My underarms were moist, and my bed sheets were thrown on the floor. A single warm tear slid down my cheek as I looked at my bedside table and saw a picture of James and I.

I had him in a headlock as he was looking up, a smile plastered across his face. I was laughing, as well.

Raking my fingers through my hair, I got out of bed and trudged to the bathroom. I brushed my teeth, washed my face, and took a shower as I got out to wear my clothes.

I slipped on a black Rolling Stones shirt and wore my black skinny jeans as I walked out of my room and into the living room. My mum was standing next to the kitchen island with her iPad in hand, and Gemma was on her phone, texting a friend.

"Morning," I mumbled as I walked into the kitchen to get a plate of pancakes.

"Morning, Harry," Gemma said as mum started walking towards me.

"What do you want for breakfast?" She placed her hand up to my face and rubbed my cheek with the pad of her thumb.

"Pancakes."

She nodded in reply before walking off into the kitchen. I walked into the living room and plopped down on a seat next to Gemma, peeking at her conversation that was going on, on her phone.

"Harry!" She smacked my arm as I chuckled. The first laugh I let out in a while. Gemma looked at me wide-eyed as I shrugged my shoulders.

"You laughed." I grimaced her as I nodded my head.

"What else would that be?" I replied bluntly before getting up and walking into the kitchen to get my pancakes.

"Thanks, mum."

I quickly downed my pancakes before slipping my shoes on and driving to the bakery. My shift started at 12:30, and the time was 12:25. Our flat was right next to the bakery.

Once I pulled into the lot and my car came to a halt, I walked into the bakery and wore my apron. Saying a few "Hi"s and "Hello"s to the other employees, I started my shift.

Since their wasn't anyone coming in to buy pastries, I took my phone out and went on my voicemails. I pressed the phone to my ear as an old voicemail from James began to play.

Hey, Harry. Mum says that we have guests over, so on your way back from the bakery, bring a cake. Also, make sure to dress up decently. Bye.

I felt a pang in my chest once I pulled the phone away from my ear. I looked down to see that the voicemail had ended. That was the only piece of James I had left. That was the closest I was to his voice.

I heard a jingle, which sounded that the door has been opened, so I quickly put my phone in my pocket as I walked towards the register.

"Hi, welcome to W. Mandeville, how may I help yo-" I was cut off at the girl that was standing before me. Stefani.

"S-S-Stefani?" My bottom lip began to tremble as the memories flooded back into my mind.

+

"That's the girl I like," James said as he beckoned to a girl adjacent from me. I turned my head to the side to get a good view of her, since the passenger side rear view mirror wasn't enough.

The girl was lanky, roughly one inch shorter than me. She had brown hair that cascaded down her back, with a slight wave. Her skin was sun-blushed, which made her seem like the type of girl who lives by the beach. Her eye colour was a peculiar hazel; a mixture of green, brown, and the outline was a very dark green. She was stunning, and pretty good looking. But, all these thoughts left my mind before I realized that this girl had been one of my best friends.

"Is that Stefani?" I asked as I laid back in the passenger seat, turning my head to the right to look at James, who was sitting in the drivers seat.

"Yeah."

+

"Harry! How are you?" Stefani asked. Did she forget what happened? She did come to the funeral, didn't she?

"Good, and you?" I tried to force a smile onto my face, but that just made tears brim at my eyes. My vision began to get blurry, and I tried to blink the tears away, but that just caused them to flow.

"H-Harry? Are you okay?" I sniffled a couple of times as she place her hand across the counter and onto my shoulder. I stiffened at her touch as I nodded my head before getting back to taking her order.

"Just that pastry," she said as she motioned towards a cannoli. I nodded my head as I pulled it out and put it in a small bag before handing it to her.

"Two pounds and five pence." She nodded her head before handing me the money.

I turned away to wipe away the tear that had fell down my cheek before turning back around. She was still standing there. Her peculiar hazel eyes that I grew accustomed to looking at held curiosity as I shrugged.

"Are you still together with...Ariana?"

I nodded my head, since we have been together for a while now. She just looked at the floor and waved goodbye to me. However, she, then, stopped at the entrance.

"Do you want to hang out? Probably next week? I still have your number, and we haven't hung out for a year. We are, in fact, best friends," she said with shy eyes.

I nodded my head in reply as she walked out the door.

Don't you bloody dare fall in love with her.

//a.n//

same as last time! cover made by the beautiful @TattooJai ! check her Wattpad out!!

5 votes and 2 comments for update! also, you can ask questions! it doesn't have to be a boring comment lol.

your comments make my day better (:

-A :)