6: Talk

Luca rested before the windows, atop the softest pillow Grey could find on the giant bed

The last time Grey checked on her, the gashes on her back were closing, dried bits of blood matting her coat. Other than that, the cat slept peacefully, stirring only to mutter something in her dreams. Grey kissed her on the head and noticed the view. The skyscrapers and high-rise buildings were beautiful, but peace no longer lingered amongst the twinkling lights.

Amidst the beauty, beasts prowled the cityscape. And not just iron-clawed men, but other forms of ethereal creatures she knew she had yet to see. She got a first glimpse of them in that office when Jin lost control. Another look as Jungkook singlehandedly held down the monstrosity that could so easily end her life. Shadows and swords. It should have been impossible.

When she left the window, the night's stress collapsed atop her shoulders. Her muscles ached, calves sore from the shoes she left in the alley and arms moaning from carrying Luca. She couldn't quite process her thoughts, but there was a certain numbness that spread through her fingertips as she relived each second.

Grey needed a shower. It was the best way to think, and the best way to rinse off the monster's sharp touch. She pulled her shirt overhead, wriggled out of the skirt and folded them both, leaving them on the ottoman as she'd been instructed. 

The bathroom was darker than the bedroom. Navy blue art-deco wallpaper made the white porcelain tub shine like polished bone. However, the glass shower with a rain shower head enticed her into grabbing a fresh towel from the wall and turning on the faucet. Steam clouded the mirror and ceiling as hot water hit the floor. She slipped off her undergarments and gasped as it cascaded down her back.

By the time she finished, the physical indications that she'd been in a fight were gone. She observed her reflection in a piece of mirror that defrosted. There wasn't a scratch or a bruise. In fact, it was difficult to tell anything had happened at all save for the tensed shoulders that wouldn't relax and her permanently widened eyes. She was the image of a paranoid girl, a trembling animal in a corner. 

Nevertheless, her intuition clicked into place. Like a switch turning on or a lever being pulled. From head to toe, she could not shake the feeling that this was unnatural. That she was not supposed to be here. That she was breaking some type of unspoken rule. As she dabbed at her face and dried the ends of her hair with the towel, she realized she'd felt unbalanced ever since she stepped foot into Solstice Gardens.

Everything was normal until that jog.

Cold air ran over her shoulders as she opened the bathroom door. Grey padded over to the wide bed and sprawled over the duvet. The more her skin dried, the more she became aware of her lack of cover-ups. On the ottoman, her business clothes were no longer there. While she was gone, Jungkook must have taken them. She wasn't sure if that made her uncomfortable or a bit more protected. The fact that he gained easy entry when she wasn't paying attention...