Martinus's POV

When I saw Marcus standing there in the hallway like a rock, all the color drained out of his face, his gaze looking at the same spot at the end of the hallway, tears in the eyes,....I felt my heart skip a beat.

I'm glad that Bella was there and helped me to get him out of the school. I think if we wouldn't have took him outside, he would still stand there like a statue, not moving, not reacting, probably not even breathing. It really is the best to get him home, where we would be alone and not in the middle of hundreds of students, in a quite and familiar Ambiente.

,,Martinus? Can I come with you? I really want to help him!" Bella asked and I was kinda relieved that she broke the nerve racking silence in which my thoughts just went crazy.

,,sure! I'm glad you're here to help me with him." I gave her a small halfhearted smile to underline my words. I meant what I said, but I wasn't in the mood to smile right now.

,,I'm always here for you! Marcus and you, Martinus!" She gave me a little smile as well and I felt a wave of warmth roll over me. In this moment I questioned myself why we never really talked to Bella. Since Elli and Bella became friends, I can't Imagen not talking to her. Even though we didn't spend that much time together yet, I felt like she Is one of the only good friends we had right now.

The rest of the walk home was quite and I was really happy that no one was home yet when we arrived. Inside we brought Marcus to the couch and he sat down. He still seemed to be in another dimension, probably not noticing what is happening at this moment.

I threw our stuff on the floor, next to the kitchen counter and the high chairs there and walked into the kitchen to make him a hot chocolate.

,,I hope this is going to work and calms him down." I said to Bella but more to myself. Bella turned around to look at Marcus. Now I saw how much worry and concern there was on her face, but I couldn't tell if it was because of her own problems with Elli or because of Marcus. She turned back around to me and caught me starting at her. Instantly I focused back on the making of the hot chocolate for Marcus. I was quite relieved that she let it go and did not mention it.

,,Can I help you something?" She asked.

I shook my head.  ,,Thanks, but I'm nearly finished."

The microwave pipped and I opened it to get the mug with now hot milk out of it. I burned my hand when I tried to put it down on the counter without milk swapping over the mug. I took mums homemade ,,Hot chocolate" - Mixture out of the side board and some mini marshmallows we had left over.

With the still pretty hot mug, I walked around the counter, to the couch and gave it to Marcus. His fingers immediately tightened around the warm mug, his gaze now resting on the dark brown liquid inside of it. Silence took over again. Seconds passed, then turned into minutes and after what felt like an hour, Marcus took a sip from the hot chocolate.

It seemed to work. I could see color coming back on his face.

,,You feel better now?" I asked him carefully.

He looked up from the mug and faced me. For the first time I felt like he really did see me.

,,Yeah." He answered weakly.

I could see Bella relaxing a bit next to me. We both sat on the living room table in front of the couch.

,,Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked just as carefully as I did.

Marcus took another sip from the hot chocolate and looked back at us. I could see him taking a deep breath, searching for his voice and the words to say what he's about to say.

,,She—-She said I hurt her, I —-broke her trust and now——I need to live with the consequence that I lost her—-"

I could see pain flashing in his eyes. And my heart  felt like it squeezed together. It hurt to see him like this. Marcus, the one that always had a positive smile on his face, since I can remember. I gulped.

,,Did you explain her why you did it?" Bella was faster to talk.

,,No—-She said she doesn't want to hear it —-or see me — ever again." The last 4 words being nothing more than a weak whisper.

,,But she needs to listen to you! I mean you have the right to explain everything to her, she needs to see the story from your side of view."

I suddenly felt just as desperate as Marcus probably did. I looked around between Marcus and Bella but both seemed to not really agree with me.

,,I know what you want to say Martinus, but I can understand Elli. She is hurt and needs some time to process everything first. She needs to find out what she wants and then when she decides to listen to him, she is going to!" Bella countered. And I knew she was right.

While I was looking on the floor to hide my anger and desperation I suddenly felt, Marcus stood up.

,,Sorry—I'm tired, I'm going into my room." He told us before he walked off.

Now I was the one that was lost in thoughts. I felt Bella moving closer to me and putting an arm around my shoulder.

,,Hey what's up, Martinus " she asked a little worried.

I looked up at her and said what kind of scared me.

,,I've never seen him like this before, Bella. I'm scared—-No worried——Probably both...."

She slightly nodded.

,,I know, Martinus! He's hurt, it's the first time that he's going through a heartbreak. Just like Elli he needs some time for himself. He'll get better, I promise." She gave me another small encouraging smile. Then she took her arm off from me and moved a little away. I don't know why she did that, but I didn't really care at this moment.

Another idea jumped into my head.
,,What if I go to Elli and talk to her?" I told her my new idea.

,,What? Why?" She did not seem to like the idea.

,,I mean she got hurt by Marcus and is disappointed in you. But I'm kinda out you know...I didn't really have anything to do with that. I mean we never were that close, because she only spent time with Marcus alone. Maybe she's going to listen to me and I can explain her everything. I know it's stupid, but what if it works?"

Bella still looked sceptical.

,,Common Bella, I have to try it at least—-for Marcus."

I still don't know why, but the last sentence seemed to work on her and she nodded.

,,Ok, ok! I hope you're right, Martinus."

I stood up a little too enthusiastic and wanted to run to the door, when I forgot that Bella was still there too. I turned around to her.

,,Hey ehm, could you maybe stay here. I mean if Marcus needs something or someone—-you know?!"

She looked a little unsure or maybe also shy, but in the end she nodded.

,,Sure! Good luck with Elli." She answered and  I gave her still to enthusiastic a smile and closed the door behind me.

I really hope it works too. This is probably the only way I can help Marcus.

Wish me luck....

...I need it!