28.i In Like a Bride

Thorin had first been surprised, and then ironically amused, when he had learned that Tauriel was, albeit somewhat unofficially, the Elvenking's ward. Kíli had somehow neglected to mention this detail about his bride until recently, when the arrangements had been made for Tauriel's friends and kindred to attend the wedding. But of course—Thorin had reflected with fond forbearance—if his bold younger nephew was, against all sense, to fall for his jailor in an enemy dungeon, it was only fitting that said jailor should turn out to be connected to their captor king himself.

Yet as awkward as Thorin felt admitting this one-time enemy to his own heir's wedding, he had resolved to treat the Elvenking with as much grace and respect as he could manage. Not only were their kingdoms now allied, but Thorin wished to please his soon-to-be niece. Tauriel was a lovely young woman who held Kíli in love and honor, and she deserved all that Thorin could do to make today happy for her.

And so he had disregarded his first impression of annoyance at seeing Thranduil and his few guards here in the grand ceremonial hall of Erebor for this most sacred occasion, and had gone, followed by Balin and Dwalin, to welcome the regal elf.

At the dwarf king's greeting, Thranduil inclined his head respectfully.

"I am most honored to be here. I know the Eldar have never been permitted to witness such a ceremony of the Hadhodrim before. Though I suppose one of my kind has never had any cause for interest in the matter till now, either."

For a moment, Thorin wondered if the ancient king were mocking him, but Thranduil's look remained courteous behind his faint elven half-smile.

"Unprecedented as the match is, your ward and my nephew suit each other well," Thorin returned with only a mild effort. "I'm pleased to see them wed."

"I am thankful at least one good seems to have grown from your time spent as my guest." The elf hesitated just slightly over that last word, and Thorin wondered if it was humor or diplomacy that prompted the choice. But before he could become truly frustrated with elven inscrutability, Thranduil's expression softened, and he added, "Tauriel has long deserved wider room than I could offer her. And I suspect no-one in the Greenwood could have made her happy as Kíli does."

Thorin had to suppress a smile then; he had heard, through Dís, that Thranduil had been less than pleased to think Tauriel had once captured the affections of his son, Legolas. He was tempted to remark on this fact, yet he knew he himself had hardly been eager to accept her. And besides, he would not quarrel and disappoint two young people whom he cared for.

Thankfully, Balin, apparently sensing his king was at a momentary loss for an appropriate reply, put in, "She's a special lass, to draw him as she does. They share the same rare spark, and you can't see them together but be charmed." He smiled. "And she's a beauty, no mistake. I doubt there has ever been a prettier bride under the Mountain."

At that moment, a murmur ran over the assembled guests and, as if conjured by the old dwarf's words, Tauriel herself appeared at the head of the hall, escorted by the dark-haired elf, Morwen. Balin was right; Kíli's bride was astonishingly beautiful.

Tauriel wore a gown of such rich blue that it might have been cut from the midnight sky, and when she moved, it seemed stars glimmered there, though no gems were visible on skirt or bodice. A broad necklace of sparkling white stones clasped her throat and flowed down over her shoulders and breast like liquid light. Her hair was braided back from her face and gathered high at the back of her head, whence it fell in a single smooth tail, like that of a comet.

Thorin smiled. He knew the Khuzdul name Kíli had given her for the ceremony, and there was no doubt it suited her. She truly was a vision of starlight come to life.

He glanced back at Thranduil to find the elven monarch watching his former captain of the guard as if he had never truly seen her before. Then the Elvenking smiled almost wistfully.

"The stones she wears are every bit as fair as those you returned to me," he said, but Thorin did not think the elf was commenting on the jeweler's craft. Thranduil looked to Thorin. "I would not be here if I thought your nephew did not fully appreciate what he gains today."

At any other time, Thorin would have believed Thranduil implied Kíli was not worthy to marry an elf, but now— He had the odd feeling that the Elvenking spoke from the knowledge of something he had lost himself.

"Yes, I'm sure he knows what he gains," Thorin repeated thoughtfully. "Now please excuse me. The ceremony is about to begin." He bowed lightly, and made his way back to where his sister stood near the head of the hall.

As he reached her, Dís tucked her arm in his. "Thorin, she's lovely," she whispered, nodding to Tauriel.

"I remember another bride just as beautiful," he told her. "And, I think, just as happy."

Dís momentarily touched a hand to her eye. "I'm very happy now," she said.

As Thorin turned to kiss her, the hall hushed, and then footsteps shuffled as people moved aside. Straightening, he looked to see that Kíli now stood at the back of the hall, beside his brother.

Thorin had not been there when Tauriel had saved Kíli's life, but he had heard what she had done from those who had seen it. He thought now of something Bofur had said, that Kíli, as he had lain dying, had suddenly looked to Tauriel as if she were the one light in his world. Surely Kíli gazed at her that way now.

Fíli glanced to his brother and grinned, said something. Kíli nodded. Then Fíli began down the hall towards Tauriel, and Kíli followed.