6.iii

Thorin breathed deep as the mild, early-summer breeze washed over him. For the first time in decades, the world's warmth and life reflected his own feelings—no longer did he seem trapped in his own never-ending winter, knowing he could never truly flourish till his home was reclaimed and old wrongs set right.

From where he stood on the broken battlements of Ravenhill, he could see the buildings of Dale slowing coming whole again. The valley below, too, had lost its look of ruin: there were no trees as yet, but everything was verdant with grass and heather. Even this rocky mountain shoulder seemed more alive, as the breeze rippled over the water of the high tarn upon whose frozen surface they had battled Azog.

"The surviving stonework is still uncompromised," he heard Gloín's voice behind him. "We can simply build over the old foundations."

Thorin turned and nodded to Gloín, who was returned from his survey of the lower levels of the tower. "Good. I'll send my work crew here once they finish on the upper halls."

Now that the central areas of Erebor were habitable again, it was time to consider their security. Rebuilding the old watchtower on Ravenhill would serve them, as well as their friends in Dale. Thorin had no wish to leave the mountain open to another assault like that of this winter.

Wings clattered behind him, and Thorin turned back to the battlement edge and the raven now perched there. The bird eyed him keenly for a moment before hopping forward. Thorin extended an arm and the raven swept to his wrist.

After a brief preamble wishing Thorin and his flock prosperous hunting, the bird proceeded with the message from Lady Dís. She had come down from the passes of the Misty Mountains at the last new moon, and expected to arrive before the next moon was up. Please give the boys her love.

Thorin said his thanks and wished the raven a scavenger's luck, and the bird winged off again.

Good. Their people had made swift time. Thorin was eager to welcome them home, so that Erebor might become a place of energy, industry, and life once more. And he longed to see his sister again. Dís had been troubled to send her brother and two sons—her only remaining family—on a quest that was, in her opinion, under-prepared and over-desired. She could have been happy to have them all, safe and sound, in Ered Luin, and let the dragon keep his gold. And still she had known Erebor was their heritage, and she would not deny it to them. Thorin would be glad to welcome her back, to watch her worry melt away, and see her learn to be happy again in the home she had believed lost forever.

And maybe, just maybe, she could talk some sense into that younger son of hers, who persisted in believing he could only be happy with an elf.