Chapter 45: The Plan

Explosions. The crumbling sounds of combustion filled the air and shook the ground. My body jolted upwards and my eyes scanned my surroundings. I was in a foreign building, on a red velvet couch I had never seen before. The entire room was decorated very simply, very Jeremiah. I brought myself off of the couch just as another bomb sounded off. I turned around panicked towards the large windows. I could see all of Gotham from the view, and I watched as the location I knew as my home went up in flames. Why would he blow up our home? I saw smoke rise into the gloomy clouds of Gotham and it was like watching the death of an era, the happiest period of my life. After about thirty minutes of staring out into the city, I heard a door open downstairs and my heart stopped in my chest. My stomach was churning  as I tip toed down the large cement staircase. I peered around the corner to see Jeremiah dressed in a black trench coat with plaid detailing and a bright purple collar. "I know you're there Lilly..." He sighed, placing his hat down on a large marble table. I felt a little embarrassed, like a little kid that had just been caught as I stepped into the front room. "Where am I?" I voiced, wanting to sound strong but instead it came out as more of a squeak. He turned to look at me, his dark hair gelled back and his pale jaw tightly set. "You are in our new home." He answered but I was not satisfied with his answer. "What was wrong with our other one?" I quizzed him. "It needed some... Renevations." He said a wild look filling his eyes. "Yeah I'd say, you blew it up!" I said my anger helping me find my confidence. He glared at me as if my very presence was an annoyance to him. "I don't expect you to understand what I am doing right now. But in time you will see that there is no value in these feeble things, as I have. Material, sentiments, they are all just a fragment of society that is deceiving you from unlocking your true potential." He explained as he approached me. I moved back, trying to keep the distance between us. "And I suppose you know my true potential?" I snap and his eyebrows shot up in amusement. "Why yes, I believe you could be so much more than you are now... So much more powerful." He concluded as he continued his advance on me. I wasn't watching behind me as my focus was on him and my back hit a wall. I could see a smirk play on his lips, he had me right where he wanted me. "And what if I want nothing to do with all of this?" I asked him. I could see pain flash in his eyes before he lunged at me, his hands slamming on either side of my head. His teeth were gritted and a sort of smile and grimace of rage spread across his face. "You promised you wouldn't run!" He yelled his face so close to my own and I shrank back into the wall. He read my fear and calmed himself, taking a deep breath. "Remember?" He pressed and I was in no position to argue. I wasn't sure how much he was capable of. He had already had Ecco drug me and bring me here and he was blowing up the entire city, so it  was safe to say he could do some serious damage. I nodded and then he slowly pulled away from me and I felt myself release a breath I hadn't known I was holding. He smoothed over his hair that had fallen out of place in his anger. "Jim Gordon is dead. Jerome's followers answer to me now. In approximately five hours Gotham will be leveled and then we will have a blank canvas. We can turn this city into anything we want. Don't you see, Lilly? This is our freedom." He looked at me, willing me to understand his point of view. But I was not interested in being his accomplice, I could handle darkness but I couldn't take this. This was murder, madness even. "You're insane." I whispered but he definitely heard me. I felt tears stream down my cheeks, my heart hurting at the realization that my husband was no where to be found. He stared me down. "It doesn't surprise me that you don't understand. You were always weak minded." He spat and it felt like he had just dug a knife into my chest. "I don't know who you are anymore..." I felt my voice quivering with emotion as I moved away from him. "Perhaps that's for the best." He said, turning away from me. I shook my head in disbelief. How could this be happening? I had to get away from him, and knowing that leaving was not an option, I ran upstairs and locked myself in the bathroom. I was unable to control my sobbing, wanting nothing more than for my nerdy ginger husband to come and wrap his arms around me and reassure me that everything would be alright. But that Jeremiah was gone, and in his place was a man I hardly knew. A man that scared the shit out of me. I heard a light knock at the door. "Lilith... I'm sorry I upset you. Open up." He sighed, using my full name which he never did before. When I didn't answer I heard him shift on his heels on the other side of the door. "My feelings for you haven't changed. They never will... I want you to be with me on this rather than against me." He said and I choked back a sob. "How can you ask me to do that?" I whispered. "Please. Open the door." He said softly. After more silence he took a deep breath. "I have to go. I'll be back later tonight and Gotham will be renewed. Don't run or I'll find you." He ordered and I could tell it hurt him that I wouldn't let him comfort me. But I didn't know how to interact with him when he's like this. He was a completely different person, an utter stranger. Once I knew that he was gone, I emerged from the bathroom and returned to the window. I watched Gotham, utterly helpless. I knew that people would die, that the city would fall. Jeremiah was after all one of the smartest people I have ever met. But there was nothing I could do. I may have no longer been trapped by Jerome but a new villain had captured me. What broke my heart was that my new captor was the one I had trusted the most, my husband.

Hey guys! So these chapters are all pretty long because I'm really trying to focus on this transition for Jeremiah and Lilly. Say goodbye to sweet Jeremiah and hello to the joker😈 I hope you guys like it! Let me know what y'all think! 💕
-m