Chapter 37: The Marriage

The clergy visited us that next week. I decided that I didn't want a traditional wedding dress so I settled on the white lace dress I wore the night Jeremiah asked me to marry him and he wore his black suit. We held the ceremony in the living room, and while it may not have been the most romantic location, I didn't mind. Wherever he was, my heart was. We had emptied the room and Ecco had assisted us in making it look more ceremonial, as Jeremiah wanted my wedding experience to be as realistic as possible within the safety of the house. He build an alter-like structure that was modeled off the polytunnel in the garden of St. Ignatius, the place he had once comforted me and assured that he wouldn't hurt me. And he  certainly never did. I walked down the large train of wine colored fabric that acted as the aisle, carrying Ella's favorite flowers, red carnations. Jeremiah was waiting for me inside the polytunnel, and he was radiating with joy. I smiled as I reached him, handing my flowers to Ecco who had helped me get primped and ready for my big day. I willed myself not to be sad, but the ache of Ella's absence on the happiest day of my life was enough to make me almost break down before I entered the room. Ecco had reassured me, telling me to be strong and move forward for her sake. Jeremiah took my hands in his own, smoothing his thumbs over my palms. It was an action he only did when comforting me and it never ceased to amaze me just how well he knew me. We turned to the clergy who stood in front of us. "We gather here today to witness the marriage of Jeremiah Valeska and Lilith Olsen." The clergy announced even though there where only four of us total in the room. He then addressed us both. "You may exchange your vows." He informed us and I turned to face Jeremiah, lightly squeezing his hands. "Lilith Olsen, I promise to love you for the rest of my life. I vow to protect you and give you everything you've ever dreamed of. My life was dull before I met you, I was a boy hiding from my past. But you brought my demons to light and you still love me for them. I promise to spend the rest of my life repaying you for that..." Jeremiah finished, the sincerity in his gaze making tears of joy fill my eyes. I had no doubt that he would keep every one of his promises. "Jeremiah Valeska, I never felt like I belonged in this city until I met you... I knew from the moment you handed me that pencil in Calculus that we had a connection. It took someone very brave to be nice to the poor girl, and you extended your friendship to me immediately. You have shown me what true love is and I promise to stay by your side through thick and thin. No matter what lies ahead, I promise to follow you in life as we embark on this journey together." I said, tears freely falling down my cheeks and his own. We stood there sobbing with each other for so long I had forgotten the clergy was even there. "Do you, Jeremiah Valeska, take Lilith Olsen as your lawfully wedded wife?" The clergy asked. Jeremiah took a deep breath, calming himself. "I do." He smiled at me as I carefully slid his wedding band on his finger. "And do you, Lilith Olsen, take Jeremiah Valeska as your lawfully wedded husband?" He turned to me and I was so excited I responded almost immediately. "I do." I said as Jeremiah slid my ring on my finger. "I pronounce you both as Mr. and Mrs. Valeska. You may now-" the clergy began but Jeremiah and I were ten steps ahead of him, our lips pressed and our lives bound. In that moment there was no one but him and I. All of our scars, all of the pain, coming together beautifully for the rest of our lives. We were unable to control the overwhelming glow of the moment and we pulled away smiling and giggling like idiots. I looked forward at the man I loved and turned my back on my life before. I was his wife, his ride or die. I was Mrs. Valeska.