Chapter 39

By the time I saw Cassie on Sunday, it felt like it had been years sine I last saw her. So much had changed between Friday and Sunday that I felt like a whole new person when I opened my front door to let her into my house. At first I was alarmed by the strange silence that lingered between us when she arrived, but after we settled down in the living room and popped in a sappy, romantic movie everything was back to normal again.

After the movie I told her about Friday in more detail, and then about Saturday. Of course I had to leave out the werewolf talk, and Liam's unnecessary insecurity about it, but I was about to gush about most of what happened. The hand holding, the nap taking, the rush of passion I felt whenever we said goodbye, and how incredibly close we always came to kissing.

I felt a little ashamed for talking on and on about Liam, but Cassie didn't seem to mind. She listened intently with wide eyes, hanging onto my every word with anxiousness. By her expressions, it looked to me like she could sense the weird, but strong, connection between Liam and me just from my words. And when she left after the sun went down, we giggled like two best friends should, and she bade me goodnight with a tight hug.

She seemed genuinely happy for me, and that was something I felt intensely grateful for when I went to sleep that night.

Of course both our sharpness dulled the next morning when it was time for school. Trying to keep my eyes open on the drive to school was almost as hard as running a marathon. Cassie must have felt as sleepy as I did because the second she got into my car and I started to drive away from her house, she set her head against the window and nodding off to sleep again, her head bobbing up in down as she slipped deeper into sleep.

We walked in sleepy silence into the school building, a shiver rolling from both our spines as we stepped inside our heated school building, away from the chilly October air. And as we approached the senior lockers, I noticed a head of wiry blond hair, a smile instantly jumping to my lips.

Cassie, as sleepy as she was, noticed Liam leaning against my locker and sent me a grin, waggling her eyebrows at me. I swatted her shoulder while my cheeks blushed, and blessed her as she slipped away from my side, heading for her own locker to give us a few moments of privacy.

"Hey, Sparky." I said, flourishing a grin at him as I approached my locker. My breath caught in my lungs however as my eyes swept over him, startled (as usual) by how beautiful he was. He was wearing another torn pair of pale colored jeans and a long sleeved black shirt that hugged his chest and arm muscles perfectly.

As he stood against the locker next to mine, he had his arms folded on top of his chest, his neon blond hair going in every direction. His head was slightly tilted as he watched me draw nearer to him, looking through his eyelashes. His golden skin and stance gave him the grace and nonchalance of a Greek god, and I felt so average next to him that I had to rip my eyes away from him in shame, staring hard at my lock as I fed it its combination.

I felt his eyes on me, and thankfully his mood seemed light and happy. "You've got to stop calling me that." he chuckled, pushing off the locker he was leaning against and slipping his arm around my waist. He pulled me close just as I opened my locker and sent his face into my ear, his lips grazing my ear as he did so.

I shivered with delight and turned in his arms so that I could see his face. I beamed up at him with my hands on his chest and let my self drown in his sky-blue eyes, almost forgetting to breathe as I did so.

"Why? You don't like the nick name?" I played along with his question, pulling myself away with great emotional effort. I forced myself to busy with gathering my supplies for my com arts class, though I still felt conscious of his stare.