Chapter 14

When I made it to study hall, I sat down by Liam and the both of us remained quiet until the bell rang. Mr. Grant started to take attendance, and as he did so I pulled out a piece of paper from the spiral notebook I brought with me. "So, why don't we work on the rest of that project in government?" I whispered sideways to Liam and he glanced at me.

"Well we're not going to get anything done if we have to whisper to each other this whole time," he replied, and Mr. Grant suddenly called my name.

"Present." I called to Mr. Grant, raising my hand to get his attention. His eyes flashed towards me and he checked my name off the paper on his desk.

"We could go to the library or something..." I offered, and suddenly Liam perked up in his seat.

"Here." He said to Mr. Grant, who checked him off the list also. Liam's eyes fell back onto me and he shrugged. "Alright, go ask him if we can." He agreed, but at this I narrowed my eyes.

"Come with me." I scoffed, pulling at his shirt sleeve. He made a sound of protest, but stood up anyway, walking with me to Mr. Grant's desk. He looked up at me over the rim of his glasses, one of his legs crossed over the other, trying to look professional.

"Yes?" he asked the two of us.

"Liam and I need to work on a project for Government; can we go to the library?" I asked, and he nodded.

"Sure, let me write you a pass." He agreed, turning away and pulling a drawer from his desk open. He grabbed a pad of white paper and wrote both our names down, our destination, and then signed it at the bottom. "Be back before the bell rings." He told us, and with that Liam grabbed his pass and I walked back to my seat, grabbing my notebook and pencil.

The both of us left the room and walked down the hallway in silence, only the sound of our echoing footsteps filling our ears.

I caught Liam glance over at me and I arched an eyebrow. "What?" I asked, and he shook his head.

"Nothing, I was just wondering something..." he trailed off, looking off down the hallway. We passed the junior lockers and then turned a corner, a new stretch of hallway opened to us.

"What about?" I asked further, and he shrugged.

"I don't really get why McCubbin was such a jerk to you in government." He said finally after taking a moment to figure out if he should tell me or not.

My cheeks turned pink and I looked down at the floor. "It's kind of always been like that. My friend Cassie gets it worse. We're just different, and I think that kind of scares everyone here." I sighed, shoving my hands into my pockets.

Liam snorted with amusement and I looked at him curiously. "You? Scary?" he chuckled and I narrowed my eyes playfully at him.

"I'm tougher than you think. Usually I don't let them get to me; I guess I was just so embarrassed I couldn't think of anything witty to say back." I chuckled evenly, and he pursed his lips while he observed me.

"Well that was kind of a low blow. Girls always seem self-conscious about their looks. Always worried about their makeup or if they've got anything on them. It was just dumb of him to say that." he said with a frown, crossing his arms over his chest.

I shook my head. "I could care less about what Jake McCubbin thinks, Liam. For all I care, I could scribble all over my face with a marker and not care one bit if he saw me." I told him, but at this he raised an eyebrow.

"Then why were you embarrassed?"

At this I looked away and down at my feet, my cheeks turned pink once again. "I don't know." was all I could come up with to say, and for a moment we were silent again.