Chapter 30

Liam walked me back to my locker after lunch and stood by my side as I gathered my Field Biology supplies, slightly silent but not in the way to make me worry. He watched me curiously as I talked the whole way back to class, running my mouth off like I always did. Although he always complained about how much I talked, he watched me closely as I did, like he was listening to every word.

The change in our relationship was definitely noticeable as we sat beside each other in class, keeping quiet while Mr. Driskell taught at the front of the room. It was a strange feeling, having to keep quiet when there were a million things I wanted to say, a million things buzzing around in my head.

The same was true in government. We sat down in the back of the room like always, and exchanged grins as Jake walked into the room with a purple ring around his eye, happy to see him wince every time he blinked. But then once class got started there was a strange peace between us I had never felt before.

It had always been such a struggle to keep things going between us, and now it was like everything was falling into place. I tried my best to be unaware of his presence, but half way into the period I threw in the towel, leaning forward with my arms crossed over on top of my table, my chin set onto my arm and my eyes stuck on Liam, watching him with a gazed smile.

He noticed me looking at him, but instead of scowling or shying away from me, he merely glanced in my direction with a serene expression on his face every time. It was hard not to reach out and touch him, grab hold of his hand or brush my fingertips across his cheek, and by the time the bell rang, ending seventh hour, it was literally painful not being able to close the distance between us.

Inside I knew I was being foolish, but I hoped Liam felt it too. I hoped that he felt that same squeamish jump in his stomach that I got every time we made eye contact, and I hoped his heart throbbed too every time he saw me smile.

"Aubrey, you are turning purple." Liam said to me with a smirk during study hall. I had been holding my breath to keep from not talking, a challenge which I had accepted in hopes I would gain ten dollars out of the contest. However Liam was making it extremely hard for me since I was supposed to go all class period without saying one word, yet he insisted on continuing to talk to me.

"Knock knock." He said to me smugly, and I glared at him, itching to say 'who's there?' "This is a good joke Aubrey, you're missing out." He taunted, and I looked pleadingly at him to stop.

Sadly, Mr. Grant had stepped out to go talk to a teacher, so he wasn't present to tell Liam to put a sock in it either.

He pressed his lips together to suppress a grin, his eyes looking me over deviously. Suddenly he lurched forward and began to tickle my sides, causing me to cry out with giggles. I fell off my chair and so did he, and I'm positive that most of the class was looking at us with confused expressions, but Liam continued to tickle me breathless, though I still hadn't said a word through my laughs and cries.

"Say mercy!" he said, still ruthlessly tickling me. I was rolling around on the floor, no doubt making a scene, but I couldn't help my reactions.

I shook my head feverishly, still trying to smack his hands away from my sides, but he wouldn't stop, and soon I was sure to pee my pants if he didn't stop. "OKAY MERCY!" I exploded, tears forming at the corners of my eyes.

Liam stopped tickling me and stood up with satisfaction, extending his hand out to me. I thought he was going to help me up, but when I reached for his hand he took it away before extending it back out to me. "Nope, you owe me ten dollars." He sneered and I glared playfully at him.

"You stink, Silver." I pouted, reaching into my purse that was on the floor by my desk. I pulled a ten dollar bill from my wallet and handed it to him, which he stretched out and held up to the light.