Chapter 2

My high school is Peterborough high. It isn’t the fanciest school, but it’s homey. The inside was made up of warm colors; peach floor tiles, tan painted walls, gold color lockers, and blue banners hanging up here and there to support school spirit. Generally, I liked my school. What I didn’t like were the people in it.

It was the chicken coop that all of Snorsvilles’ little chickadees flocked to. A circus of sweater vests, neatly combed hair, shined shoes, and mommies’ and daddy’s cars parked immobile in the parking lot. People with perfect home lives, good grades, and people whose parents sent them their favorite fast food meal for lunch. It was no wonder why Cass and I didn’t fit in, although all schools have their cliques.

There were the jocks, sub groups belonging to the football jocks, the baseball jocks, the basketball jocks, and the hokey jocks. Next the popular girls, sub groups being the stuck up popular girls, and the drunk popular girls. Group number one is the group of girls with high standards for boyfriends, expensive clothes, and perfect grades. Group number two is the same thing except they party and get drunk every night and not so great grades.

The nerds; the comic book/anime boys and girls, the book smart nerds, and then the nerds who never really grew up, wearing clothes from the sixth grade and who looked the part but really weren’t that intelligent. The nerds were a minority; all the sub groups put together making up a sad 10% of our 1,200 student population.

Sure I know all of that is very stereotypical, and that stereotypes are just a reason to judge, but seriously, Snorsville is where stereotypes come alive. Everyone is what they seem, and that’s just how it works. But of course, there are always a few glitches in the group. That would be Cassie and I.

My school had a faint smell of toasted almonds and more so once I was in the cafeteria. It was kind of comforting though, so when I was forced to sit alone everyday during the first shift of lunch, I wasn’t that bothered. I just sat at a square table by myself, my feet on the seat I sat in with my arms hugging my legs to my chest.

On a Monday like this, I was eating a pear; I ate a pear everyday for lunch. Turning it over and over with my fingertips, I looked for a good place to sink my teeth into. Finding one, I bit into the tender skin and ripped off a piece of juicy pear, my stomach purring. Pears were my favorite.

As I chewed, I reached for my cell phone poking out of my cream colored tope purse. Cassie sent me a picture of a doodle in the top corner of what looked like her trigonometry notes. I smirked at the picture, a stick figure tied upside down over a pool full of sharks. The stick figure was obviously her trig teacher Mrs. Sullivan, a woman who is as evil and mean as a woman can get.

I sent my phone back into my purse and took another bite of my pear. I was about to take another bite of it when I felt the small square lunch table shake a little. I looked up to see who had bumped my table when I felt my self choke on the pear still in my mouth.

A boy, one I had never seen before, had just plopped down in the seat diagonal from me. He was gorgeous, tan skin with hair so blond it looked white. It was long and messy, sticking up every which way, though I got the impression it was done that way on purpose. He had high cheek bones, those belonging to male models, and glacier blue eyes which bored into my hazel ones as I stared.

He had a some what of a sour face on him as he surveyed me, most likely offended by how openly I was staring at him. “I didn’t know where else to sit…” He said finally to me, and I was so startled that his gorgeous voice was directed to me that I actually looked over my shoulder to make sure he wasn’t talking to someone else.

I opened my mouth, and then closed it when nothing came out, and then decided to try again. “Not a problem.” I managed to say, shrugging my shoulders.