Chapter 36

When I got home I was glad to find my parents in their separate rooms with their doors shut and snores emanating from behind the door. I smiled to myself as I passed through the hallway and entered my room, throwing my purse carelessly onto my bed mattress. Tucker followed me with expectant eyes as he planted himself near my feet as I stood in the middle of my room.

That silly smile was still stuck on my lips, and absent mindedly I bent down and stroked Tucker's back and scratched his cheeks. He purred like a motor boat but made a sound of protect when I walked away and shut my bedroom light off. I shed my clothes onto the floor and threw on a large tee-shirt that was lying on my floor.

Slipped into my bed covers I nestled my cheek into my pillow and felt Tucker jump onto my bed and curled up behind my legs as I lay on my side. I grabbed my phone out of my purse and chuckled lightly when I saw that I had a few text messages from Cassie asking about my evening. I tried my best to answer her with as much detail as I could fit into three texts before giving into my sagging eyelids.

I fell into a sleep where I dreamt of gowns and sparkling jewelry. Crowds of beautifully dressed people conversing with each other in a huge ball room with a ceiling of painted angels.

My eyes broke open to the faint glow of morning that seeped through the window beside my bed. I turned over on my side with a grumble, burrowing my face into my pillow to keep the light from my eyes, but as I laid there in my silent room, I felt my heart accelerate.

It was Saturday, and Liam had invited me to come over again.

Without warning I leapt from my bed and heard Tucker hiss at me, since he was still cat-napping in the same place he had fallen asleep in last night. I skidded out of my room and jumbling down the staircase, following the smell of eggs and the sound of sizzling bacon.

Sure enough my mom was standing in front of the stove, a spatula in one hand and her other holding the handle of a skillet full of yellowing eggs. I rushed up to her and kissed her on the cheek, causing her to gasp a little. She hadn't heard me come into the kitchen.

"Aubrey! Good morning darling!" she chuckled, throwing her arms around my neck. She gave me a quick hug before turning back towards her pan of eggs which she poked around the surface with a spatula.

"Morning." I grinned a cheesy grin, earning a questioning look from her.

"Alright, spill. How was the date?" she smirked, nudging my hip with hers. I glowed red and shrugged as I made my way towards the refrigerator.

"It wasn't a date, but what ever it was, it went well enough that he invited my back over today." I said cheerfully, reaching into the refrigerator and bringing out a jug of milk. I closed the door with my hip and walked towards the cabinet up on the wall near my mothers head. I opened the door and brought out a glass cup and set it down on the counter.

I poured myself some milk and then put it back into the refrigerator, trying to keep my expression even and mild, though I was failing miserably. "Did you finish your homework?" she asked, her motherly instinct surfacing as she eyed me sideways.

I rolled my eyes. "I didn't have any homework." I answered her and she nodded.

"Okay, you can go then, but I don't want you gone late." She said and I chuckled as I walked away with my glass of milk.

I jumbled upstairs and walked into my room. I flicked the lights on and pulled back all the blankets on my bed in search for my phone. When I finally found it I pulled out a piece of paper from my purse with Liam's cell phone number. I dialed in the corresponding number and then held my phone to my ear, listening to the call tone.