Chapter 16

The rest of the afternoon Liam and I spent cooped up in my room, sketching out our comic strip, and then transferring our final draft onto a final white piece of paper. Our scenario was of the court system; the police have the power to arrest, the district attorney can prosecute, and the court system can judge and punish. Our comic strip was just of someone getting arrested, and then being tried in a herring.

After coloring and finishing it up we got to work on the essay paper, the both of us huddled around my computer desk, writing a rough draft on Word Document. We were just about finished with the rough draft when there was a soft tap from the other side of my door.

I turned around and saw my mom standing in the doorway, looking fondly at the two of us sitting side by side. "How's the project coming along?" she asked and I nodded my head.

"Good, we got our visual aid done, and now we're just working on the essay portion of it." I said and she nodded.

"Well, its five o'clock right now, and your father should be home soon. I think it's only polite if we invite Liam for dinner." She said to the both of us, her hand lingering on the door knob. She smiled kindly at Liam, but didn't notice how he stiffened by my side.

"It's five already?" Liam gawked, turning his eyes to the computer screen and staring pointedly at the time that was showing at the bottom right corner of the screen.

"Yeah, time flies when you're having fun, didn't you know that?" I chuckled, and he rolled his eyes. "So how bout it Liam? Are you up for some dinner?" I asked, elbowing him in the ribs. He shrunk away from me and narrowed his eyes grumpily.

"I shouldn't impose." he hinted to me, obviously not interested in the idea.

"Oh no, you wouldn't be imposing at all! I insist you eat with us." My mother pressed, and Liam looked pleadingly at me, although I couldn't help but grin.

"Yeah Liam, she insists." I smirked, and he shot me a murderous glare.

"Okay." He said through gritted teeth, although my mother didn't notice his tone.

"Great! I'm just making come pork chops and mashed potatoes, does that sound alright?" she asked the both of us, though I knew her question was mostly directed towards Liam. He nodded silently and she bobbed her head up and down before backing out of the doorway. "Okay, I'll call the two of you down when it's ready." And with that she shut the door, leaving me at the mercy of Liam, who looked like he was about to bust his top.

"Dinner?!" he growled, jumping up from his seat and running his fingers through his hair angrily.

I looked innocently up at him and pouted like I didn't know why he was so mad. "What's wrong with dinner?" I asked, and he shook his head with irritation.

"Damn it Aubrey, you are making this so hard!" he growled, turning away from me and grabbing his hair again, his eyes squeezed shut.

This time I really didn't know what he meant, and slowly got to my feet. "What am I making hard? Look if this is too awkward for you I can take you home-" however at that he wheeled around, his face contracted with what looked like anguish.

"You think this is awkward for me? Aubrey, I haven't enjoyed myself this much in years." His voice faltered, and I froze, my hand hovering over my heart with apprehension. "You are making it so hard for me to be unattached!" he explained further, running his fingers through his hair only causing it to stand on end more than usual.

My face softened and turned pink. "Liam, I'm not trying to make it hard on you. I'm not forcing you to be my friend, I mean this is just a project we're working on, and my mom only wants to have you for dinner. It's not like I'm making you sign a friendship agreement in blood..." I spoke softly, fidgeting around with my feet uncomfortably.