the invisible girl

October 3, 2017

Zoe seemed like she totally had her life together. She was the happy girl. The one who you would most likely never see cry. She had lots of friends to talk to. She was invited to a lot of parties. She was generally liked. Yet she felt almost invisible at home.

Zoe dreaded going home every day. All she could hear was arguing. Non-stop.

The rest of her family fought a war where no one was a winner.

But she was smart enough to not try.

So she pretended to hate her brother.

She pretended to be annoyed by her mother.

She pretended to ignore her father.

But none of it worked. It was all just a way to cover up whatever it was that kept her from being happy. She couldn't let herself be exposed to the world. It had happened before, but the last time it did, it ended with a bad relationship with her brother.

So yes, she had problems at home. Problems that she would normally never be able to stop
thinking about,
crying about,
contemplating about.

So why was she suddenly so stressed out about texting Evan Hansen? It's not like he was intimidating or anything like that. Very far from it actually.

He seemed invisible. Maybe that's why she was so nervous. Because she finally found someone with the same struggles as her. After she heard about his suicide attempt, she couldn't help but talk to him.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but she soon realized that he probably felt uncomfortable and didn't want to talk about it. On top of that, practically the whole school knew, so he had obviously had that conversation before. Chewing on her bottom lip, (a habit she was not fond of) Zoe finally decided to text Evan.

Two weeks after he had sent a text.

Well, this is embarrassing.

To Zoe's surprise, she got a reply about a minute later.

Maybe there's nothing to worry about.