1: The Lake

One day, she'd kill Amelia

For the next few seconds, Grey let the satisfaction of the thought wash over her as she jabbed at her phone to lower the volume of her earphones. Her best friend's frantic scream dissipated from a banshee's howl to more of an inside voice. "Amelia, please. I can't understand you when you shout like that," Grey said.

A playful groan stretched over the end of the other line, then more yelling. "I did it! I did it!"

"One more time."

"I. DID. IT!"

"Did what?"

"I got the tickets! Two of them! Meet and greet here we come!"

Grey slowed her jog into a swift walk. Wiping the sweat from her eyes with the hem of her tank top, she looked both ways before crossing the street. Of course, she picked the hottest day of the year to get back into shape. Panting, she shook her head. "We? As in you and I?"

"DUH, who else? I didn't use my photographic memory to memorize credit card numbers and pre-sale ticket opening times just to go to this concert alone. I NEED U, GIRL!"

Grey winced at the lyrics, winced at Amelia's lack of vocal talent. Still, the invite was flattering. "Wait, why buy tickets now? What if something comes up?"

Amelia scoffed. "It's survival of the fittest. People eat those tickets up like piranhas. And nothing will get in the way of me meeting my boys. Specifically, my Rap Monster."

"Your dedication to this group is terrifying."

"Grey, rain on someone else's parade."

"Okay, I'm sorry. My afternoon jog just sucks today. My legs hurt, and the park looks like it's getting further away." Grey rolled her eyes, picking up her pace as the greenery of Harmony Park surfaced into view. Harnessing the rest of her strength, she pushed onward.

"No one told you to do afternoon exercise." 

It was Grey's turn to scream. Amelia's complaints of being too loud murmured over the phone. At this, Grey smiled. "Now that we're even, when are we meeting BLT?"

"You're so rude," Amelia coughed, "it isn't for a few months. You've got plenty of time to sulk in a corner and pretend you don't like them."

"You introduced them to me like a day ago, I just don't see the big deal yet." The rest of the conversation became a blur as Grey approached the black, iron archway above the entrance of Harmony Park. 

Amelia rambled about her day, her coworkers, her lunch. Under the shade of trees, couples sprawled on blankets. Parents with strollers wheeled over several different walkways while children threw frisbees and balls in the open clearings. Life breathed through this section of the city, and even with the sun beating on her back she appreciated every inch of this place. Her own haven.