♣ Chapter 23 ♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

___________________________________

          A throbbing pain in my shoulder causes me to awaken. Fluttering my eyelids, my eyes adjust to their new environment – a dull, shabby room, complete with nothing but the restraining chair I'm in, a table in the corner with a variety of sharp tools, and next to said table is a plank with attached leather straps, just like the chair.

          What is this place? Some kind of torture chamber?

          I roll my neck so as to ease the tension, and then try my best to break free from the restrains. However, my attempts are worthless.

          Suddenly, the lock clicks and the door flies open, revealing none other than James, standing with his hands clasped behind his back. The black path across his right eye makes him look extremely villainous, which causes me to shiver. He casually strides into the room, shutting the door behind him, and stops in front of me, his scrutinizing gaze and emotionless face causing my heart rate to increase.

          What is he planning to do?

          I take a steady breath. "Why do you have me bounded?" I ask.

          He doesn't answer but instead, looms over me, watching down his nose at me as if I'd just broken some sacred oath of not speaking. But then, his lips turn up in a smile.

          "We'll be leaving shortly," he says.

          What?

          "Leaving? To go where?" I ask, frowning, suddenly confused and scared.

          "On a trip."

          "A trip to where?"

          "That, my love, is on a need-to-know basis."

          "I am not your love," I grind out through gritted teeth.

          He tilts his head and grins widely, ignoring me. "Hmm...I just have to make some assessments now, and then we'll be on our way."