♣ Chapter 2 ♣

Song above–Cola

By Lana Del Rey

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

           "Are you okay?" the man asks. I nod as he pulls me up off the ground. "Come on, let's get you out of here." He leads me away from the men that tried to kidnap me and carries me to a gazebo for shelter. The rain rattles on the roof harshly as I sit on the built-in bench in the middle of the wooden structure, and my anonymous rescuer sits next to me.

          "Thank you," I mumble, shivering. The man takes off his blue jacket and puts it over my shoulders. It doesn't really change the effect of the cold wind blowing through the gazebo, but I accept the kind gesture.

          "Well, you look cold, so it's the least I could do," he says.

          "No, I mean...for rescuing me from that man. If not for you, I would've probably been kidnapped or worse..."

          "Oh...well in that case, you're welcome." He smiles and takes off the wet, white jersey that sticks to his body, while I avert my eyes, looking to the sky as it rains cats and dogs. I hear him wring out his jersey and water splatters on the ground next to my feet.

          For some reason, my eyes are drawn back in his direction and I take in his physique, moving up from his rock-hard abs to his broad chest and shoulders, and finally, his face. His cheekbones protrude a bit and his jaw is extremely strong. His chin also sticks out, but not that much. I didn't notice before, but when he turns away from me, I notice a faint, brown mark that highlights the right side of his face.

          "I don't mean to pry...but what happened to your face?" I ask, staring at the mark.

          He stiffens a bit before turning to me, and says, "It's a birthmark. Strange, I know."

          "Oh, I thought you got burned or something," I say, chuckling. Once again, he stiffens a little. Okay, weird... Then, he starts to chuckle too.

          "I'm Megan Stevens, by the way." I begin to stretch out my hand for a handshake, but then I remember what Zack did to me. Maybe not everyone likes to handshake. So, I decide against it and withdraw my hand.

          However, the half-naked man sitting beside me reaches out and grabs my hand just before I retract it, "Vincent Rowling, but you can call me Vince." He smiles and brings my hand up to his mouth for a kiss. I blush and turn away. "You know, you're kind of cute when you blush," he adds.

          "Me? Are you sure you're looking at the right person?" I ask, not believing him.

          "Well, there is this girl that I'm sitting next to, under a gazebo, as the rain kills all the land around us, but..." He stops when he sees my reddened face, and bursts out in laughter. "Yes, I'm referring to you." He lets go of my hand and puts back on his jersey. It still sticks to his skin, but it's not as wet as before.