♣ Chapter 4 ♣

Song above–I Don't Know Why

By Imagine Dragons

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

          I slouch in the three-seater couch in my living room, watching the television that hangs on the opposite wall. An alert pops up on the screen with the news broadcast logo.

A male reporter appears just after the logo fades and begins speaking. "Reports of a double homicide under the Faulton Bridge, here in Edgewood Park, have caused some hysteria in the surrounding communities," he says, walking towards two body bags on the soggy ground.

          "That bridge..." I mumble, getting up out of the couch and walking towards the television. A buzz and a ping cause me to look at my phone.

          It was a text from Jessie, "Are you seeing this? That's where you were yesterday, isn't it?"

          "Yeah," I reply, with the assumption that she knows I'm answering both questions.

The reporter continues, "The identities of the two men have been revealed to be Zachary Fuller and Mitchell Bland–escaped patients from Edgewood Reformation and Rehabilitation Centre. Doctors of the mental institute say that both patients were highly delusional and extremely dangerous when they were first admitted, and also weren't showing any signs of improvement as time progressed. Their escape was highly unanticipated, and the search was cancelled after a few long months."

          The reporter's voice fades away as a knock comes from the door. I switch off the television, throwing my phone into the love seat, walk towards the door, and look through the peephole to see Vincent standing there, his hands in his pockets as he rocks back and forth on his heels. My heart starts to race as I turn and press my back against the door, remembering the dream I had about him. I exhale a few times before finally opening the door.

          "Vince, hi, you're early for our date," I say, smiling before frowning.

          "I know," he chortles, "but I'm not here for the date as yet."

          My brows come together even more as I look at him, wondering what other possible reason he could have for visiting.

          "There's something important I want to talk to you about."

          "Okay, what happened?"

          "Aren't you going to invite me in first?" he asks, raising both his eyebrows and ducking his head to meet my height and gaze since I'm shorter than him.

          "Oh sorry," I say, stepping aside. He walks in and looks around, but I stop him by grabbing his shoulder. "Shoes...off."

          "Oh, yeah, sorry." He kicks his shoes off in a corner as I close the door, and we go into the living room. "Nice place you've got here," he says and sits on the couch I was lying in.